22 inch recycler quits with a clunk

65FMS

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 22 inch self propelled TORO that runs and sounds like something loose in it. I will mow for about 30 minutes and then just quits with a big clunk (like the brake was applied but it was not). It will then pull thru with a bit of roughness but will not start again until all cooled off.

Spark plug seems to have excessive oil on it and it has started to smoke when in operation.

Any body have some trouble shooting info that would be helpful? I am not afraid to tear it down and work on it but not unless i have to.

Thanks

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First of all, which engine do you have on your unit? Toro used four different engines on the 22" models depending on the year of manufacture. Please supply us with the model and serial numbers for both engine and mower. Second when was the last time the oil was changed? What color is the oil and is it overfilled? Have you checked to see that the engine mounts and blade are both tight? Does way thing change before the engine stop?

65FMS

Forum Newbie
Threads
First of all, which engine do you have on your unit? Toro used four different engines on the 22" models depending on the year of manufacture. Please supply us with the model and serial numbers for both engine and mower. Second when was the last time the oil was changed? What color is the oil and is it overfilled? Have you checked to see that the engine mounts and blade are both tight? Does way thing change before the engine stop?

Thanks for the response.

the 22 inch is Model 20074A and has SN270002949 with the Tecumseh 6.5 motor. Motor is LV195EA/LV195XA Oil was recently changed maybe 3 hours old, Kept only to the upper fill line but turns BLACK in just 30 minutes of running. Engine mounts and blade are all tight (sharpened and balanced blade about three to four times a year).

When the engine just stops there is a bit of a clunk and immediate stop. It then seems hard to pull thru but loosens up a bit after two pulls, but still does not fire after the engine quits so quickly. It stops almost like it was on a stump or something but it is just cutting normal grass when this occurs.

Only asking all these questions so I have an idea what I may find before the tear down I think is about to occur.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sorry, more questions. Has this just started since you changed oil? What viscosity oil are you using? Has the oil level changed since oil change? According to your numbers the unit is ten years old and I am looking at a possible over heating problem or an electrical problem. Before you tear down, please do a couple of checks. If you are using a good detergent oil, it should turn black, because it is doing it's job of cleaning. I'm not worried about that. I would remove the shroud and make sure the fins are clean to cool properly. Then I would then run the unit until it quits. Then remove the spark plug, tie back the blade brake level, reach under the deck and slowly turn the blade in the direction of cutting direction. If you feel or hear any scratching like metal hitting metal, you have a mechanical problem. If it turns very freely, you may have a fuel problem or compression problem. I can only guess where to go with this as I don't have the unit in front of me. Give us the best picture you can and we will give you our best direction to proceed. Remember, you must be our eyes, ears and touch.