Timing Question

1buddy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Will a 24 hp twin briggs engine crank if the timing(cam/crank gear) dots are a couple of teeth off?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
How could you tell that the cam and crank are incorrectly timed? Or do you know they are, or are you just suggesting a possible reason as to why your engine won't crank?

Geared cam-to-crank timing does not change unless something breaks.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
To answer your question, yes the engine will turn over with the timing marks not aligned. Will it start, probably not.

1buddy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I removed the crank gear to ease replacement of the new governor gear, and I was thinking I may not have aligned the dots up correctly on reassembly as now the engine turns but will not crank. Have spark and fuel but will not start up.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If in doubt, check it out. This will be your first step in troubleshooting you problem.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Stick a pencil down the plug hole and watch the movements of the valve with respect to the position of the piston.
Anything more than 1 tooth out will be obvious.
1 tooth out and the engine should fire but not run or pop & wheese backfiring all over the place.

And it helps if we use the same song book
crank = revolve
fire = run
catch = start

1buddy

Forum Newbie
Threads
All is well now,just had a badly flooded engine, let engine set overnite,and the next morning it started right up. Governor is working properly now but engine still seems to be idling a bit to fast, set the governor staticly using briggs manual instructions,and adjusting the carb idle screw but does no good, any suggestions .