GCV160 Carb insulator direction

compros

Forum Newbie
Threads
I need some help for a GCV160 Honda motor. Someone used my pressure washer and damaged the carb so when I got it back I had just parts. So I did not take it apart myself. I put it back the way I thought it should go but the unit pulses and I am not getting any pressure out of the pump. I think it has to do with the Carburetor Insulator Part #: 5580238. This part is about a 1/4" think and the hole that the air flows through between the carb and the intake is tapered and a little off set. What is the proper direction for the taper to go? I am assuming larger side to the carb and smaller side to the intake causing improved air flow? TIA to everyone.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Only two ways it can go and you've already tried one. Try the other.

FWIW, the 'no pressure out of the pump' problem is probably not related to this. Do you prime the pump before starting the engine?

compros

Forum Newbie
Threads
The unit is almost new less then a year old. I have never needed to in the past. I hook the hose up and then start the engine and normally have good pressure. Now i get a little and then none. I will get the engine running good and then decide what to do about the pump.

Agree swap it around. The only reason I was asking is the imprint on the gasket appears I have it the correct way. It looks like the larger side faced the intake by the imprint. But this goes against everything I know about air flow...

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Those pumps do not like to be run without water going through them.

Read your manual, if you have one. Mine tells me to hook up all the hoses, take the metal tube portion off the wand, and turn on the water and squeeze the trigger until it's a steady stream, no spurts of air. THEN start the engine. Try that and see if it helps.

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
It has been a couple of months since I played with my GCV160 carb, but , as I remember, there was an obvious
way to orient that plate..........