Cub cadet 1040 ltx

AirborneVet

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Cub Cadet 1040 LTX with a 19 hp Kohler engine. 4 weeks ago I was mowing my lawn. The machine was running fine. As soon as I was finished it began sputtering, chokking, and backfiring. Then died. Since then I have had no luck in finding the problem. I changed the fuel filter, oil filter (including oil change), air filter, and spark plug. I have cleaned the carburetor and siphoned out the old gas, replaced it with fresh gas, and added fuel treatment. The mower is still chocking, sputtering and dieing. I have no idea what the problem is. I have posted this before with no replies. Posting again in hopes that someone can help me. Thanks

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi Vet, You have shotgunned which is ok sometimes. On this forum the Pros (not me ) like to see a systematic approach and always need a model, year. Also there is a wealth of knowledge if you use the search button after trying different combinations of words associated with your problem. After you do this I bet people will chime in.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have a Cub Cadet 1040 LTX with a 19 hp Kohler engine. 4 weeks ago I was mowing my lawn. The machine was running fine. As soon as I was finished it began sputtering, chokking, and backfiring. Then died. Since then I have had no luck in finding the problem. I changed the fuel filter, oil filter (including oil change), air filter, and spark plug. I have cleaned the carburetor and siphoned out the old gas, replaced it with fresh gas, and added fuel treatment. The mower is still chocking, sputtering and dieing. I have no idea what the problem is. I have posted this before with no replies. Posting again in hopes that someone can help me. Thanks

:welcome:
I browse using the "posts since last visit" function others use emails to their smart phones.
If it goes a week without reply then reply yourself with the anyone emojie, hidden in the "more" section
:anyone:
This bumps the post back into the new posts section so it gets picked up as unanswered.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the mower pops and backfires through the carb but continues to run, usually at a low power level then either then valve timing is out or the ignition timing is out.
So pull off the blower housing and the flywheel bolt and check that the 2 halves of the flywheel key slot are making a full square ( key is not broken )
While the housing is off disconnect the kill wire to the coil and start the engine.
Problem goes away = wiring fault, kill wire is grounding somewhere.

No joy on either count then pull the rocker cover off and spark plug out.
Check that when at TDC on firing stroke , both valves are closed ( inlet will have just closed ) and the ends of the valves are at the same height from the floor of the head
Heads overheat and can grab a valve so it does not close properly, the inlet seat can drop out so again it does not close properly or the screws holding the choke/ throttle butterfly can fall out & get stuck under the inlet holding it open just a touch.
Let us know what you find.
Pictures are really welcome