Kawasaki or Kohler????

greeen

Threads
From the research I've done the new FS entry level engines do have the same block as the more expensive Kawasaki engines found on the JD and commercial mowers. The only difference I saw according to the Kawasaki web page is the carburetors. The FS has a single barrel and the FR has a double barrel carb and a larger air filter.

that doesn't seem right...are you sure? FR is residential model, FS step-up and FX commercial

hightech1

Forum Newbie
Threads
that doesn't seem right...are you sure? FR is residential model, FS step-up and FX commercial

You can go to the Kawasaki web page and check them out. I have an FR730V on my mower. The power output is literally identical all the way up to the FX 730...actually I think they have the FS 730 listed with slightly more power than the FX 730. You can see the FS has a different carb set up and definitely on the FX. All 3 series have a 3 year warranty so that makes me believe they didn't get cheap on the internal parts on the FR. The FX does list having hemi heads but again no more power...they said it helps with emissions and possibly gas consumption which would be important on a commercial mower running all day. The FX also has a steel engine cover and a better starter according to the web page but again...commercial mowers need a better starter as they do more mowing in 1 year that a typical residential mower does in 5. The FR and FX also weight slightly more but not enough to think the block on the engines or the internals parts are different. It's about 12 pound difference in weight from the FR and the FX and by looking at the picture the extra weight is mostly in the air cleaner assembly and most likely a slightly heavier starter and metal engine cover. I don't think you can get a 3 year warranty on a Briggs or a Kolher unless you step up to the commercial models.