Kawasaki or Kohler????

Lukeslawn

Threads
The kawasaki motor is built alot better then kohler...

robert

Threads
Luke, I will agree only if we are discussing the FX or KAI-but even Kawasaki has very recently produced alot of FX engines with bad cranks so perhaps even when discussing Kaw you have to say, 'that was then and this is now' and didn't they try plastic gears for a while?

I don't own a Kohler, and never have had one but the Command owners with problems are very few and far between and those with Courage twins are a happy lot, generally.

As for me; I only have had Briggs and Honda GX's. Our Vangurad did not even last 330 hours with anal maint and our ELS is a joke. With the Honda engines-the newest one is on a blower and it is from the Thai Honda Motor Company and this in no way compares to the ones from Japan, no way, no how. And yes I do realize that the only difference is that some nice Thai person is pushing the robots buttons rather than some nice Japanese person-perhaps there is a difference between Thai robots and Japanese robots, go figure-in all probability its emissions. But I do know this, the engines from Japan start on the first pull every time all the time and there is no smoke at all, the sound is solid-the new one takes more than one pull, smoke on start up and sounds tinny and to my ear even has a knock......

mullins87

Threads
I drive a Gator TX at work. It has a Kawasaki in it. When I got it, less than 60 hours were showing on the meter. I can only guess if the initial service was done, but probably not. When it hit 100 hours, I told my supervisor to get it into the shop for service. I'm not supposed to due to stupid union rules, but I checked the oil every day. I reminded my super at least once a week. I kid you not, but finally at over 500 hours it had it's first oil change. I may have added a quart over the course of those 400 hours. Now at nearly 800 hours, it still doesn't smoke or even smell of burnt oil, nor does it make any funny noises. I wrote that motor off a long time ago thinking it would grenade at any moment, but it keeps going.

I own an early 80's model Snapper garden tractor with a Kohler 18hp Magnum. It has a little over 1,000 hours on it. Still going strong with normal maintenance. The only problems I've had were a bad fuel pump and bushing in the starter.

I also own a 70's model Snapper tractor that had a 16hp B&S in it. The engine has been repurposed onto another piece of equipment. I'm guesstimating around 1,500 hours on it. Could be less, but could be a lot more judging by the condition of the tractor. It uses a little oil, no smoke, but just enough that sometimes you can smell it, and the oil level will drop a little on the dip stick after a few hours of use.

I don't think any of you here would argue the B&S is 3rd on this list, but I would list the Kohler as 2nd and the Kawasaki as 1st simply for the reason the Kawasaki will probably be a little quieter and smoother. But, you can get a lemon from any of them.

robert

Threads
Kaw does indeed have a more muted sound, sounds solid-or at least the ones I have listened to do.,

Lukeslawn

Threads
my reason for saying " the kawasaki is built better " is because from any i have ever owned or used they always seem to run quieter, smoother and they seem to be really reliable. The only down side with kawasaki is that if any thing was to break the parts are way more exspensive. But really if your not to picky both engines are well built and reliable.:smile:

Kidmows

Forum Newbie
Threads
As an owner of both a kawi and a kohler, personally i feel like the kawi performs better.

sss

Threads
more power is always a good thing but kawsaki engines are well known for reliability and smooth running :smile:

benski

Threads
I've had good luck with both, but recently getting parts from Kawasaki has been a real pain. I think on an apples to apples comparison, I'd still take the Kaw. Be sure to do your maintenance. (Duh..) I'm also a big proponent of synthetic oil.:cool::biggrin:

hightech1

Forum Newbie
Threads
From the research I've done the new FS entry level engines do have the same block as the more expensive Kawasaki engines found on the JD and commercial mowers. The only difference I saw according to the Kawasaki web page is the carburetors. The FS has a single barrel and the FR has a double barrel carb and a larger air filter. As you move up you'll see even larger air filters and finally fuel injection. I've got 3 acres of very thick grass to mow but I didn't want to spend a fortune on a mower. I ended up with a Husqvarna GTH K54 with a 24 HP Kawasaki and the "fast hydro" transmission. I changed the tires to tractor lugs for traction..only run 93 octane no ethanol gas and use straight 30 synthetic oil. (Amsoil has the oil you'll probably have to get it on line) For a cheap mower I along with my neighbor who has an JD 495 diesel are stunned at how powerful the engine is and how fast I finish the yard..Also put on gator G5 blades..Anyway the typical cheap 54 mower with a briggs or Kohler do not lay down the power like the kawasaki engines. That's why you see Kawasaki on the best mowers. Plus the Kawasaki is not as loud and smoother.