About Time for first oil change. What oil to use?

Threads
  • / About Time for first oil change. What oil to use?
O.K. Guys, just about time for my first oil change on my Craftsman YT 3000 with 21 HP engine. I got about 20 hours on it & was planning to change it-at about 25 hours.
I was looking at the Big Box store at the different brands & weights. So much out there that I could not make a choice to decide on what weight & brand to use.
I don't care to spent an arm & leg, but some of the major brands goes for close to $12.00 a quart. I noticed Ford brand much cheaper than some of the other major brands.

Any suggestions on what you use, weight & brand, & long terms results, good or bad- with your choice?

Thanks!

Lawn Addict
Threads
Your Owners Manual did NOT say to do a 8 hour or so oil change to get the 'break-in' oil out ?

My neighbor just got a Simplicity w/ V-Twin 23hp B&S, it said to do 1st oil change early as I've posted. He bought B&S 30 wt. And I changed it for him at 6 hours including filter. But depending on your location, your needs may vary.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
At this point in time you may as well leave it to the end of the season.

As for what oil,
Any MOWER oil will be fine and the weight will depend upon the ambient temperatures that you mow in.
I use Stens oil, Gripskies ( local mower wholesaler) oil and plain 30 W mower oil from a local blender in 44's
Only oil problem that I see regularly is with the oil that is not there