McCulloch 32cc leaf blower engine ideas

turbofiat124

Threads
So I've got this McCulloch 32cc leaf blower my father gave to me. The handle broke on it. I epoxied the handle but soon discovered this thing is heavier than hell and after blowing my driveway off, my back was aching afterwards. I think there is supposed to be a strap that goes on it and you can hang it off your shoulder. I guess I've just been too used to those cheap Poulan FeatherLites over the years.

Since it has a centrifugal clutch, I was going to mount it on an old bicycle but decided it probably wouldn't have enough balls to propel me at 150 lbs and the bicycle. Since most motorized bicycle kits are at least 50 ccs. I'd probably burn the clutch up in no time.

So it had been sitting in pieces under my work bench for about 10 years. So the other day I dug it out, replaced the fuel lines and primer bulb and got it running.

I thought it might make a good portable generator. When I mean portable, I mean something I could easily carry around. Not something for power outages but to use in the field.

Issues:

I was going to use a 45 amp Iskra alternator and a 110 volt AC 400 watt inverter I had laying around so I could run my electric pole saw, electric drill, small air compressor, whatever in the field. Trouble with this idea is I think I would need an alternator that produces more than 45 amps to run an inverter than is good for 1000 watts to run my pole saw that pulls 8 amps/110 volts AC.

Then I thought about connecting it to an old 6 amp clothes dryer motor and use it to produce 110 volts AC directly without an inverter. Once again, an electrician here at work told me I probably wouldn't get too many volts out of it because when an AC motor is turned, it doesn't produce the same amount of voltage that you can put into it to make it spin. If that makes sense.

I came to the conclusion if if I really wanted a "portable" generator, the best thing to do was go to Harbor Freight and buy one of there 900cc 2 stroke 1000 watt generators for $110. Sometimes you can catch these on sale for as low as $88. Which is the smallest generator I've been able to find.

What other uses could I use this engine for?

1) I've got an old power steering pump which is good. Perhaps I use this to build a transfer pump? Maybe to drain large pools of water or something?
2) Connect it to an air pump and use it as an air compressor
3) Go with my original plan and connect it to an alternator to use to start engines with dead batteries.

Any other ideas?

zman111666

Threads
I think it would still work on a bicycle, auxiliary power at least. Might have to help pedal on the hills.
Motorized skateboard?
Tennis ball launcher?
The alternator emergency jump start thing sounds interesting.
Not sure a power steering pump would appreciate having water going through it much.
How about a miniature robot bent on world domination?

Last edited: