Snapper 33" hi-Vac : Repair or part out?

turbofiat124

Threads
So I've got two Snapper 33" riding mowers. I think I can make a running mower out of both of these. Take the good parts off each and combine them.

The major hurdle is fixing the trans-axle on at least one of them. Everything else is straight forward.

One is a 1979 model:

It's missing the deck (which I transplanted to a 2001 Snapper and later sold it)
8 hp Tecumseh engine (no balls), original 12 hp B&S engine ran out of oil and seized.
rear end is locked up (maybe broken chain?) but can be shifted
rear wheels are missing (used them on my daughter's 110cc ATV)

The 2000 model:

Transmission is locked up in 3rd gear but will move otherwise
Steering "triangle" broken and I welded it back but front end alignment is messed up
Front tires won't hold air (no big deal, they make tubes).

The plan:

Use the frame from the 79 model
See if the chain is broken in the transaxle (maybe an easy fix)
Use the 15 HP Kohler engine, deck, rear wheels from the 2000 model.

OK here's the question. I've looked on Craigslist and it seems most people want anywhere from $200 to $300 for use Snappers. I seriously doubt if I put my time into putting these two mowers together to make a running mower, it be worth my time for $200. I have more important pending projects to take care of.

I actually like rear end Snappers versus front engine tractor type lawnmowers. Snappers Hi-Vacs have excellent traction going up hills, more comfortable riding position because you don't have to straddle the front end, easier to maneuver and see around shrubs and bushes. So I guess if I got this thing running again, it would be used as a "3rd" backup riding mower.

The bad thing is by the year 2000, the build quality with Snappers was horrible. Paper thin decks (bottom lip wears off), front wheels made from stamped sheet metal (that cracks and sheer off at the hub), etc.

That's why I bought a Husqvarna riding mower instead of another Snapper about 7 years ago.

So should I combine these mowers together or sell the deck, engine and wheels? What would you guys do?

snapchet

Threads
I just bought three on Craigslist, all running, one w. bagger for aprox 120 to 160 each. All they needed was lh & rh bushings & various other things like boots & rear axle slop taken out. So just a suggestion,..buy a more rebuildable one on the net. Also,..if you have a Snapper RER built before 2012 you have a gem. After that they changed, got cheaper, less durable.

DYN

Forum Newbie
Threads
Can't find my model listed. R3312511BE Recycling model purchased March 1992. Has been good until the grease boots over the trans axial were ripped off or fell apart. I didn't knot the grease was getting out. Finally it seized up. I removed the rubber plugs on Differential and Chain Gear Assembly added grease. Used a wrench to get the trans axial to rotate. No broken gears or broken chain. Got the mower working again. Then the hard part was replacing the accordion grease covers over the trans axial. That was quite a job without a repair manual. Finally got it done. Seems fine nowSDC11530.jpg.Snapper140R3312511BE-CS.jpg

turbofiat124

Threads
I just bought three on Craigslist, all running, one w. bagger for aprox 120 to 160 each. All they needed was lh & rh bushings & various other things like boots & rear axle slop taken out. So just a suggestion,..buy a more rebuildable one on the net. Also,..if you have a Snapper RER built before 2012 you have a gem. After that they changed, got cheaper, less durable.

The one I had was a 2000 model and my father's was a 2001 model. Both were junk by that time. I can't imagine the quality after 2012.

I haven't had any major issues with my Husqvarna and I've had it for over seven years. Any issues I did have were related to things on the deck breaking. Which I blame myself trying to get it in and out of a 48" yard barn opening and my daughter throwing crap out in the yard. Also not reading the manual concerning not pressing the clutch in while the mower was moving. Otherwise it causes the belt to stretch and fly off.

I do miss the traction my old Snapper had going up hills. And the bagger on it. I really don't need another riding mower but hated to send both of these mowers to the metal recycler if I just took the time to combine parts from both mowers. But is my time worth the time to do it?