Murray not moving.

richardb

Threads
I have an older murray, and with the mower wheels off the ground the rear wheels turn but when I put the wheels on the ground,nothing? Took the tranny out and drained all the water out and put gear oil in and put it back on the mower but still won't go. Does the gear that the pulley is on a common problem with a peerless 920, and any suggestions for me to try. Thanks for the help.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
How did the water get into the trans.?? I think I would remove a dis-assemble the trans and go through it THOROUGHLY ! If you should decide to work on it , be sure to take PICTURES of EVERYTHING you do during DIS-assembly, so you will have references to use for RE-assembly. This manual may be of help ...

http://www.barrettsmallengine.com/manual/tecumsehpeerlessmanual.pdf

:thumbsup:

richardb

Threads
How did the water get into the trans.?? I think I would remove a dis-assemble the trans and go through it THOROUGHLY ! If you should decide to work on it , be sure to take PICTURES of EVERYTHING you do during DIS-assembly, so you will have references to use for RE-assembly. This manual may be of help ...

http://www.barrettsmallengine.com/manual/tecumsehpeerlessmanual.pdf

:thumbsup:
I got a Murray(60's) and a Craftsman(70's) for $100.00, The Murray is in the best shape,except for the transmission,good deck,and tires.The water probably got in there from sitting out side with the weather. The Craftsman has only one deck pulley and some other issues,but I don't mind. The only thing I didn't do according to the manual,was use grease,I used gear lube? It might be ok.Thanks for the help as I just retired last year and fill my time in with small motor's. I have 6 MCCulloch chainsaw's and about 8 weed wackers,I give them to my neighbours to use till it brakes.If it cost me money out of pocket then it will cost you,but if I reuse the gaskets and if it works for the season then I'm happy and my neighbours are happy to. Yes it cost me some money to do this but I don't spend a lot to keep everyone happy.

zman111666

Threads
Sounds like you have a sheared key on an axle, the drive pulley, or one of the gears.

richardb

Threads
Sounds like you have a sheared key on an axle, the drive pulley, or one of the gears.
Now that you mention it there is only one keyway in one axle and the other was empty,didn't think it needed one but,well it was a senior moment(ha ha) I will get one tomorrow and with any luck it will go.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If that link Boo put up is for the Peerless manual have a good look at the drawings in the 920 section.
Note there are a lot of drive keys in this box.
The 1/2 moon key is the input shaft rarely ever breaks but oft falls out when you are assembling the pulley to the shaft.
The 2 gear change keys regularly break because drivers do not come to a complete stop before changing gears.
If the gears were rusted then they are throw aways as the hard facing is very shallow
The drive keys in the axels again rarely break but do flog out and of course again get left out when fitting the wheel.
Oil will not do the job in this box and will leak out the instant the box gets hot as there is no vent .
I use 00 grease which I get from a tractor supply shop in 5 gallon buckets.
If it has not been used for a long while, pull the input shaft and clean then relube the needle rollers or better still replace them they are a std bearing so cheap from a bearing shop.
If they collapse or get loose then the bevel gears do not mesh properly and stuff the case in no time flat.
The gears, pins & keys are all available and reasonably priced, the top covers are not.

richardb

Threads
Thanks for the info,I'll go tomorrow and get some grease,and an axle key.Will let you know how it goes.

richardb

Threads
Thanks for the info,I'll go tomorrow and get some grease,and an axle key.Will let you know how it goes.[/QUOThank
Thank you all for the help, It was an axle key that I had no idea I needed.Do all riding mower's have to have a key in each axle? I have never paid attention before to that. Now all I have to do is figure out the deck belt configuration. The model #is 0-40603B I think it is a April the 6th of 2003. Can someone tell me if I am reading this right. Thank You All for the help.I sure do appreciate Ya'll

zman111666

Threads
Yes. Any mower that has any kind of a differential has to have both wheels keyed to the axle, otherwise the axle with no key will just spin in the wheel, and the mower goes nowhere. I guess an exception might be if it has some kind of posi-trac or some hydrostatic drives. They might try to hop along a bit. A zero turn mower will instead just go in circles... Someone straighten me out if this inaccurate.