HR214 Mulching blade(s)

bigbacon

Forum Newbie
Threads
any one know the part numbers for a mulch kit for one of these? I know the plug is not easy to get.

Homer1

Threads
If you just need a mulch blade you can pick one up most anywhere. Just take the old one with you. You don't have to have an exact part, but the mounting hole will matter. Some are round, some star type, etc..

There are about 5 models of that mower, they all seem to have the same blade part number, 21" Honda PN 72511-VA2-690 . You can probably chose a Gator style blade to see some improvement in cut over factory.

The newest Honda push mowers utilize a dual blade for mulching. I am not sure that this will work on yours though without buying it as a complete kit. Some hardware will be required.

This thread may help you. Someone explains how they got around having the plug kit. http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/showthread.php/16254-Mulching-plug-for-a-Honda-HR215

If your hell bent, there is a plug available currently on fleabay, but you had better hurry, they don't make them anymore.

golfergordy

Threads
I recently purchased a mulching kit (Honda part # 06725-VA3-S00) from boats.net for $14.72. This was for my HR215K1 mower. The kit contains the upper mulching blade, a spacer, 2-10x25mm blade bolts, and 2-spring washers. The instructions that came with the kit show that you are supposed to utilize the original cutting blade with the new upper blade from the kit (I also bought a new original cutting blade so both blades would be new), and also show how all the parts fit together. The 2 new bolts are required because with adding a 2nd blade, the original blade mounting bolts aren't long enough. The instructions also indicate that the kit can be used on the HR214.

This kit is only shown as available for model HR215K1 at the boats.net site, so enter this model designation to find the kit. I also have an HR214, which currently in out of service, but I will eventually be buying another of these kits for the HR214 when I get it running again. The HR214 and HR215 use the same original cutting (non mulching) blade, so it looks to me (by comparing the kit with my HR214) like the kit will also fit my HR214. I have cut my lawn both with the non-mulching original blade and with the mulching kit installed. The mulching kit cuts the grass into very small pieces compared with the regular blade, and if you choose to bag with the mulching blades installed, the bag will hold more grass because the cut grass fits more densely into the bag. The mulching plug isn't available from Honda anymore. I do have the plug, but tried mulching (not bagging) w/o it one time and it seemed to work ok, but the rear spring loaded door kept opening a little bit with all the pressure inside the deck and some grass leaked out, so if I try that again I'll rig up something to keep this door tightly closed.

bigbacon

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recently purchased a mulching kit (Honda part # 06725-VA3-S00) from boats.net for $14.72. This was for my HR215K1 mower. The kit contains the upper mulching blade, a spacer, 2-10x25mm blade bolts, and 2-spring washers. The instructions that came with the kit show that you are supposed to utilize the original cutting blade with the new upper blade from the kit (I also bought a new original cutting blade so both blades would be new), and also show how all the parts fit together. The 2 new bolts are required because with adding a 2nd blade, the original blade mounting bolts aren't long enough. The instructions also indicate that the kit can be used on the HR214.

This kit is only shown as available for model HR215K1 at the boats.net site, so enter this model designation to find the kit. I also have an HR214, which currently in out of service, but I will eventually be buying another of these kits for the HR214 when I get it running again. The HR214 and HR215 use the same original cutting (non mulching) blade, so it looks to me (by comparing the kit with my HR214) like the kit will also fit my HR214. I have cut my lawn both with the non-mulching original blade and with the mulching kit installed. The mulching kit cuts the grass into very small pieces compared with the regular blade, and if you choose to bag with the mulching blades installed, the bag will hold more grass because the cut grass fits more densely into the bag. The mulching plug isn't available from Honda anymore. I do have the plug, but tried mulching (not bagging) w/o it one time and it seemed to work ok, but the rear spring loaded door kept opening a little bit with all the pressure inside the deck and some grass leaked out, so if I try that again I'll rig up something to keep this door tightly closed.

yea this is why I need it. I actually just replaced the blade about a week ago and now the thing just shoots giant clumps of grass all over the yard....I odn't use the bag because my yard is very large (probably too large for a push mower but I do it)

Sucks having to either mow in a weird pattern to keep moving the clumps to the edge of the yard or raking it up later.

Honda Tech

Threads
any one know the part numbers for a mulch kit for one of these? I know the plug is not easy to get.

The Mulch Kit was p/n 06762-VA3-S00, but it has been discontinued by Honda. The Mulch Plug was 76266-VA3-J60, also discontinued. With luck, may find one online or at a well established dealer.

golfergordy

Threads
Dear Honda Tech,
The Mulch Kit was p/n 06762-VA3-S00, but it has been discontinued by Honda. The Mulch Plug was 76266-VA3-J60, also discontinued. With luck, may find one online or at a well established dealer.

The mulch kit # at boats.net for the HR215K1 is 06725-VA3-S00. I recently purchased and installed this kit on my HR215K1 and it works fine, but I also compared the kit to my HR214 and it looked like it would also fit. Also, the instructions that came with the kit included the HR214 as one of the models that the kit was applicable for. I'm curious why you show a different # for the kit than I found? Is it possible that the kit # 06762-VA3-S00 was replaced by kit # 06725-VA3-S00 and that's why you say kit # 06762-VA3-S00 has been discontinued ?