HR215SXA Drive Disk Removal

Highmaster2

Forum Newbie
Threads
Attempting to get everything off the bottom of the crankshaft to disassemble the engine. Having issues trying to remove the drive disk from the shaft. Tried holding the engine up by the drive disk and gently tapping a bolt screwed into the end of the shaft - no go. There doesn't seem to be room to get the jaws of a puller between the drive disk and the brake disk to remove it that way. Number on the mower is MZAM-6115748 SXA.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

zman111666

Threads
Is it like the one in this video? https://youtu.be/ueBk8b6-pNs

It stops just short of removing the disc, and I can't find anything on taking it off, especially when it's stuck. All I can suggest is soaking with penetrating oil, and using two screwdrivers to pry and wiggle from both sides, careful not to bend the brake. Heat might work, but might destroy the seal.

Last edited:

Highmaster2

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes, that is what mine looks like but, like you, I can't find anything about removing it. The only video I found that involves removing the disk shows the guy just pulling it off with his fingers. Not gonna happen with this one. I have soaked it with PB Blaster multiple times but, so far, I haven't gotten it to move.

Had entertained the idea of using small rope or wire around the disk on 2 sides and slightly suspending the engine then tapping on a bolt screwed into the end of the shaft. Any down side to that you can think of?

zman111666

Threads
I think that might work. I was kind of thinking the same thing, but couldn't think of how you would get behind it. Bailing wire or rope could work. I'm assuming the brake disk behind it is bolted to the engine, or can it be pulled off with the other? Do they have to be pulled out separately? Never mind, just saw the brake is held on with three bolts...

Highmaster2

Forum Newbie
Threads
Finally just drilled & tapped 2 10mm holes opposite each other and used my harmonic balancer puller. Luckily it was thick enough to do that.

zman111666

Threads
Awesome! Glad you got it. Sounds like they should really come with those holes, for just in case.