Tiger Cat II Kohler EVC860 Quit/Won't Start

Sweats

Threads
My boy was mowing and thought he ran the left tank dry. He tried the other tank but the mower wouldn't start. I took a look. The left tank gauge did indicate empty. Tried starting the mower. The fuel sounded as though it was charging, the engine turned over fine and it caught immediately - then it immediately quit. I tried putting fuel in the left tank. Nothing. Checked the fuses. Nope. Anybody ever have a similar dilemma? I just wish I'd have known if it quit with some gas still in the tank. I think I could then have narrowed down the possible causes. No such luck. The mower has about 50 hours on it. The gas was fresh and from cans I bought when I bought the mower. The mower had been running for over an hour when it quit. There wasn't an undo strain on the mower and it wasn't hot out. My boy said that when it quit, it didn't just cut out but rather, it felt like the tank had run dry.

Last edited:

Sweats

Threads
Fuel Pump. Warranty item. No Sweat. Back on track.

cprman2001

Forum Newbie
Threads
How did you determine that it was the fuel pump? I have a Tiger Cat II and it has almost 50 hours on it and suddenly it won't crank. It tries to turn over, but it won't. I've charged the battery and still no go. I smell gas when I choke it, but you've got me thinking it may be the fuel pump. Is that a dealer diagnosis?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You know what you mean but we do not.
"Tries to turn over "
will not turn past full compression ? Will not turn at all ?
Starter motor hums and gets hot but nothing happens ?
??????????
?????????
?????????

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
If it only has 50 hours is this engine and mower still under warranty. If so then let the dealer take care off it. If not then remove both spark plugs and try to crank it and see if it cranks normally. EFI pump diagnostics would at a minimum require special fuel pressure testing equipment so check pressure output. I don't know what you mean by choke it since the EFI engine doesn't have a choke.