Kohler 7000 KT735 loses power

hamjr

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Scag Liberty z with a Kohler 7000 24 HP with only 67 hrs on it. It acts like its starving for fuel on a hill or sometimes in heavy grass. Usually just shut deck off and it picks back up. I have checked and replaced fuel filter, checked fuel pump it has almost 3 in. vacuum but it still acts like its not getting enough fuel checked pickup tube, even removed and checked tank for dirt. Checked plugs, also compression around 155 both cylinders (my testers old like me)
I recently purchased the mower with only 64 hours on it, it was overfilled with oil approx 1 pint over. I drained it to the full mark, Only ran the mower a few mins before purchase..
Any suggestions would be appreciated

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
How about getting us the full model number, spec number and serial number off of the engine tag so we can check for service bulletins. There was a few of those engines that had problems with a drilled hole in the engine casting that would cause the fuel pump to not work properly when the engine was warm.

hamjr

Forum Newbie
Threads
How about getting us the full model number, spec number and serial number off of the engine tag so we can check for service bulletins. There was a few of those engines that had problems with a drilled hole in the engine casting that would cause the fuel pump to not work properly when the engine was warm.

Model No. KT735
Spec No. KT735-3028
Ser No. 4430408703
Build date 10/31/2014

Based on what I could find there is a service Bulletin #338 from Kohler. I could not look it up though only found the number. I'm not sure if Scag put one out or not, I did find out Hustler put one out in 2016.
Any further info would be greatly appreciated. This is a great mower for my purpose ( I mow about 2 acres weekly), it will be even better when I can use it without any issues!
Thanks for your help.

hamjr

Forum Newbie
Threads
I took the mower to the local dealer, and the determined it was a faulty ignition module and replaced it. It seems to be doing fine now with the exception of one time it did try to cut out on a hill again, all I did was turn off the bank and it engine picked right back up. I did notice the fuel filter seemed to be almost drained at this time. This is the only time it did it since they replaced the module. I had replaced the fuel filter earlier with an extended capacity, I went back to a standard filter to see if that had any bearing on this recent issue.

dfbroxy

Threads
Look under the seat on the gas tank side and see if there is a fuel shutoff valve. If there is make sure it is fully open (pointed to other side of mower).

Own Goal

Threads
I'm new on here but joined to see if my Liberty Z with Kohler was a problem child. Been at the dealer all but a week of the last two months. Issue: first oil in the air cleaner. Dealer said gas was leaking in the crankcase and causing the problem. So, changed oil, filter, plugs and air filter and returned it. I mowed once. Before mowing again thought better check the oil. Way too much, but it was gas. Been back at the dealer for 3 weeks waiting on parts. Bought it last summer. Total time 80 hours.
Model SLZ 48 22KT Kohler 7000
Had all the belt fly off last year mulching leaves. Dealer had it for 3 months that time.
Talked to Forrest at Scag. Nice guy but said I needed to contact Kohler. Customer service? Ahhhh.
Right now I'm not impressed with Scag, Kohler or my dealer.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
That is a very common problem with all small engines. It is a dirty or damaged needle valve most likely. Your dealer should have fixed that the very first time it was in. Clean carb and install needle valve. The problems you are having is a Dealer problem. The belts coming off is either a design problem or debris getting in the belts problem. Do not know enough to make a determination on that one.

Own Goal

Threads
The belts got fixed under warranty. It just took November till Feb. The needle valve and seat makes perfect sense. To be safe, from now on I'll turn the fuel valve off. The dealer tells me the carb isn't under warranty. 80 hrs, 15 months. Somehow I missed the motor didn't have a warranty from Scag. When I called Scag customer service told me to call Kohler. Right now not happy with Scag, Kohler and for sure not my dealer. A bunch buck passers. Not the sort of dependability or service I was expecting for price paid. If it isn't ready by Friday I'm picking it up and fix it myself.
Thanks again for advice.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The chances of a dealer getting paid for a carb repair under warranty is less than 5%. And it doesn't matter what company.

Own Goal

Threads
Good to know. Guess that one goes to customer service and PR by the dealer. Two months to diagnose and replace a needle and seat seems reasonable. In retrospect, I think I'm frustrated with my dealer. The counter people have an attitude and the owner seems irritated if say anything to him. Couple that with lacking a sense of urgency ( and no communication ) sets the tone. I'm recently retired, sold the business etc. My company won numerous national awards. This just goes hard against the way I know a business should be run and I'm on the receiving end.