2.3 acres, lots of trees...advice on what to buy

twmattox

Forum Newbie
Threads
Wife and I are buying a new house. 2.3 acres, lots of trees, house, pool, detached garage, shed, and one out-building...so, guessing I will have closer to 2 acres to mow. Haven't dealt with a lawn mower since I was a kid...and I don't want to mow this with dad's old Simplicity Broadmor 727...though, I hope that the mower I buy last that long (still mowing with that 1969 mower).

So, first question. Zero Turn or Garden Tractor? As I see it, we will get a separate snow blower...so, no worries there. But, I want to make sure I can pull an aeriator, dethatcher, lawn roller, spreader, and small garden trailer full of mulch. Does this limit me to the tractor?

Everyone is telling me Zero Turn is faster/better and to go that direction regardless. So, if I go that way, what one? I have looked at Spartan RZ 55", Gravely ZT 52", Snapper Pro 360Z 52", Toro, Hustler Raptor SD 54", John Deere Z525E 48", Ex-mark ???, and Simplicity Courier 52". Aside from cost, what should I be looking for or at? The only thing I can tell is that the Simplicity has shocks...but, is that important or just another item to wear out and cost $$$? So far, the dealers I have visited all say that John Deere is overpriced (except the John Deere dealership). And, all the delaers agree that the Toro is sub-par (even the Toro dealers are directing me to other models on their showroom).

Just on the surface, the Spartan seems really nice but at the higher end of my budget. The other one I see that I like is the Simplicity.

Advice please...

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
No matter what advice you get, in the end it's YOUR choice ! AND YOU have to live with it, I would suggest you ask a few of the lawn service people in your area (when you see them out & about,) what they're using, and where do they get their machines serviced and maintained, THOSE machines are used on a daily basis and provide their income & payrolls ! ..:thumbsup:

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Spartan RZ 54 Is the best built with the best drives in the ones you have looked at. I would say they have the best drives in anything under $10,000

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
WOW !! Holey Moley , $10,000 FOR A MOWER ????
I could buy a couple good used pick-up trucks with that !
I could pay for Rogers winter stay in Florida !
Do have any idea how many USED mowers, (Pumper54) AND (primerbulb120) could buy (they'd be so busy havin fun we'd NEVER hear from them again !! ) ..

83f75db6f81132d662088ce07a3f227c.jpg.png ...( LOL )

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
The Spartan is around $4000. I think he is just saying that you won't find a pump better till you get into high end commercial units.

Yes that is what I am saying but Boo likes to give me crap about things. He is our class clown here. We love him a lot.

twmattox

Forum Newbie
Threads
UGH...

Not to muddy things up any more; but, I have added a couple more units to my list. For the most part, everybody uses a Hydrogear 2800 (except Spartan with the Parker HTE and Kubota/Gravely/Ferris with the Hydrogear 3100). Everyone offers either a Briggs & Stratton Professional, Kohler 7000, or Kawasaki FR engine (except Spartan with the Briggs & Stratton Commercial and the Kubota Kommander with the Briggs Stratton Commercial OR Kohler Confidant). Everyone has 20-inch rear tires (except Spartan and Kubota with 22-inch). Everyone has either 11-inch or 13-inch front tires.

The things that I have noticed (and would like advice on regarding how useful they are):

Simplicity has a mesh seat and shocks on all 4 wheels and a cargo bed.

Spartan has the better transmission (but only a 2-year warranty).

Some people swear by one engine over another. The Kubota dealer won't sell the Briggs engine model (even though it is a commercial which I have only heard good things about). Is one engine really more problematic?
I understand that the Kohler Confident is the entry level commercial and the 7000 is the consumer level.
And I understand that the Briggs & Stratton Commercial is the entry level commercial and the Professional is the consumer level.
But, all the Kawasaki motors are FR (FR651 or FR 691). Their website just says the FR engines are "Professional Grade". Does this mean they are more comparable to the Kohler 7000 and Briggs Professional?

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just to add to your confusion, the Husqvarna Mz54s has your 3100 drives
with a Briggs 25hp Endurance engine.
These are available from Lowe's right at $4K
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Husqvarna-...ic-54-in-Zero-Turn-Radius-Lawn-Mower/50315269
and a few other online sellers.
It has a formed steel deck as opposed to the fab models.
The similar model Mz54 sold at dealers has the fabricated deck at additional $$$$

I had considered this model because of the drives, but got a good deal on a Hustler Raptor SD 54" from Lowe's........

Pumper54

Threads
Since you said you want/need to use "ground engaging" implements you might be looking at a small compact tractor or a larger size garden tractor more so the a 'lawn mower'. I have never seen a zero turn used with tbe stuff you want to use but can't say it is not possible to do so. Hate to nuddy the waters more. God luck and let us know what you go with.
Tom

twmattox

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yeah, if the Zeroturn can't handle equipment then I will have to figure out another way to use the equipment. There are enough trees on this property that not using a zero turn will take a lot more time.