2.3 acres, lots of trees...advice on what to buy

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
John Deere makes 4-wheel steer tractors in their X500 and X700 series. Their turning radius is small enough to do small trees. Good, horizontal shaft engines, even diesel models, these are well-built machines.

You get what you pay for. In this instance, you'll get a lot.

https://www.deere.com/en/mowers/riding-mowers-product-list/

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
So, first question. Zero Turn or Garden Tractor? As I see it, we will get a separate snow blower...so, no worries there. But, I want to make sure I can pull an aeriator, dethatcher, lawn roller, spreader, and small garden trailer full of mulch. Does this limit me to the tractor?

Save your money on the aerator. The only ones that do any good are the core aerators and, with weights, they weigh a ton. Neither a zero turn or a garden tractor will handle one. Like a plow, they have to be lifted out of the ground to make a turn, so with two acres and lots of trees, the thing would be out of the ground more than in. I have a 60" three point hitch core aerator and without weights, it won't do anything, even in moist ground. With weights, it penetrates and makes good plugs but takes more than a garden tractor to lift it. IMO, aerating is a waste of time. I've not seen any improvement in my yard after using it twice a year for ten or twelve years.

Lawn rollers have to be heavy to do any good. You've got to have one wide enough to cover your tire tracks. A big zero turn might pull one, I don't know.

No problem on the spreader or trailer--anything will pull them.

FWIW, for ten years I mowed 3/4 acre with 30 trees with a three-wheel Swisher, the original zero turn. I think it was a 6 hp Tecumseh, two speed 'transmission' and 360 degree pivoting front drive wheel.

deminin

Threads
Yeah, if the Zeroturn can't handle equipment then I will have to figure out another way to use the equipment. There are enough trees on this property that not using a zero turn will take a lot more time.

I mow about 3/4 acre around our house...the immediate yard has about 50 trees, and then I mow another acre+ in a nice meadow below the house. I use a Husqvarna Yth24v48 riding mower, and it does a great job. It's turning radius is small enough that I have very little trimming to do around the trees, after mowing. The best part is, it costs half, or less, of what most "entry level" zero turns cost. If you intend to go into the mowing business, then a costly zero turn would be a good choice....but if you just want a handy and well built mower that can serve "homeowner" needs, check out the Husky, before you buy. These also have a reinforced deck, so you can "rub" the trees, without damaging the deck. Lowe's currently is selling the latest model, Yta24v48, for $1900. If you have a Lowe's nearby, check it out, before you spend thousands more.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Husqvarna-Yta24V48-24-HP-V-Twin-Automatic-48-in-Riding-Lawn-Mower/999990138