3 Drive Belts Replaced on 54" Hustler Raptor SD

RedneckPapaman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sure need some help! I replaced the drive belt that was cut in two an additional 2 times and both broke! I read the forum, studied the parts manual for belt routing and watched a few videos on YouTube and decided that I had installed the belt incorrectly! So I purchased another belt and the idler pulley and replaced them both. Pretty sure they were on correctly since I started the mower and cut the grass in the back yard for about 30 minutes but right before finishing up the belt came off again!! I had purchased the 2 pulley's with the plastic fans that mount on the top of the transmission but couldnt figure out how to get the old ones off without dropping the transmission. Is there any way to take them off without dropping the transmissions on both sides? Thanks

turboawd

Threads
have you inspected your transmission cross brace for any broken or loose bolts, or broken bracket? its been known to fail, and would cause misalignment of the pullies.

RedneckPapaman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply! I'll check that as soon as I get caught up on my grass cutting and get back to working on the Hustler! Will repost if I find out there are loose bolts

RedneckPapaman

Forum Newbie
Threads
have you inspected your transmission cross brace for any broken or loose bolts, or broken bracket? its been known to fail, and would cause misalignment of the pullies.

Thanks Mr. TurboAWD!! Its amazing that I had read some posts that referenced inspecting the transmission cross brace for broken or loose bolts, or broken bracket but was too stubborn or stupid to check. After you replied to my post, I jacked the mower high enough to crawl under it and lo-and-behold the bolt was not broken or loose it was completely gone!!! I think that should fix the problem. No wonder the belt wouldn't stay on the pulleys. Got the bolt, nut, and washers on order and after I get them installed I will repost. Checking those bolts will be part of my regular maintenance. Could have saved myself about $150 if I had inspected it first. Thanks again!!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Get a slightly longer bolt and either double nut it or drill it & put a pin through to stop it falling out.
It is a common problem so I will hazard a guess that the assembler who was fitting the bracket was a slacker or had a bad dose of SOL.
Dealers are aware of the problem and should b checking that the bolt is in the correct way, and done up tight before he sells it to you.

mhavanti

Threads
Bert,

Sorry to say we have a large number of slackers not only in the manufacturing, as well as a great deal of our dealers are about the same these days. Makes for sad purchasing experiences.

Maybe one day we'll make our country great again.

Max

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Bert,

Sorry to say we have a large number of slackers not only in the manufacturing, as well as a great deal of our dealers are about the same these days. Makes for sad purchasing experiences.

Maybe one day we'll make our country great again.

Max

Didn't you lot vote President Trump in to do that ?:mad::confused: