Mower not started in 7 years! Full tank of fuel and crankcase is full of oil. Tips?

Zak88lx

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Mower not started in 7 years! Full tank of fuel and crankcase is full of oil. Tips?
Hey guys,

I just purchased an essentially brand new Lawnboy 22271 commercial mower with the Honda GSV 190 engine.
The prior owner bought the mower brand new approximately 7 years ago, and only used it for a few hours on his acreage before storing it.
The unit does not have a scratch on it, literally like a time capsule, so I believe him on the hours of usage.

The only issue is, he didn't drain the fuel when he put it away 7 years ago! :thumbdown:
We drained the gas into his fire pit, and it had turned completely yellow like lemonade.
I tried turning the engine over with the spark plug disconnected to make sure it wasn't seized, and it is silky smooth, no binding.

My question is, what should I do to this mower before starting it?
The oil, air filter and spark plug look unused, as expected for a unit that only ran for a couple of hours since leaving the factory.

Can I just add fresh fuel, change the oil and go?
Do I need to clean the carb?
Any way to flush any fuel remaining in the lines or carb?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

aqo8awO.jpg

KvbHjm8.jpg

UBDACeS.jpg

Pumper54

Threads
  • / Mower not started in 7 years! Full tank of fuel and crankcase is full of oil. Tips?
I would change the oil, check the spark plug add fresh gas with a bit of SeaFoam in it and give it a start. See if/how it runs before doing anything else to it. Might lube the control cables if you feel any binding in them.
Tom

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
You must go to church 7 days a week and fill the collection basket, NOBODY is that lucky, :laughing: ..:laughing: BUT, ..you should play the Lottery !! ..SUPER NICE looking machine, hoping it runs as good as it looks !! If you do have starting issues, I would first suspect the carb. and, would change any fuel lines that have hardened . ..:thumbsup:

Lawn Addict
Threads
Nice score !!

Definitely oil change, I would add a teaspoon of oil down the spark plug hole & rotate the engine.

Seafoam I agree for the New Gas (100% real gas) would be best.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
As other have said, clean, flush, fill with fresh oil and gasoline.

Don't struggle to much if you can't get it started; after sitting that long, the carburetor is likely filled with goo. The good news is a genuine Honda replacement carb is usually < $20. If you'll get me the full serial number off the ENGINE block (It is in the form of GXXXX-1234567) I can get you the part number. You can then google it to find a dealer selling online.

outdoorlover

Forum Newbie
Threads
She's a beauty! You're lucky! Go for that oil change as others suggested. That should definitely do it.

spindley

Forum Newbie
Threads
Robert@honda is right. Do a full service. Oil , Blades , new fuel line , new carb. I am the owner of a small engine shop, and these are the things that happen every year at this time. Those carbs are not that hard to replace. I wouldnt hesitate on puttin a new one on here with a mower thats sittin around that long. Pay attention to detail , as thats the most important thing. If you replace the carb , you can expect the gaskets to tear when you pull it off. so while your at buying the new carb , get the gaskets that go with it. im sure robert can help you on that , if he can get the carb for you. Like Robert said. Model and ser.# is important. Happy Motoring.