DIY Mulch Cover Plug

LarryJohnson

Threads
I couldn't see paying $35 for a plastic mulch cover plate. Couldn't find a used one. Thought about making one from wood, but don't have a steam box to bend the wood. Sheet metal crossed my mind, but I've never had the skills to cut it properly and I only have hand shears. Had a bright idea of using a old tire. Went to a local store and set out cutting it up. It was a royal pain cutting the tire. I used about every tool I own. A jig saw with metal blade worked best. Used it once, but the fit wasn't the best. Grass found an exit out the front of the plate. Made a second attempt to tighten it up, but no luck. I ended up cutting a plastic bucket. Ruined the first one. Used a pair of snips and a torch to get the second one to fit well. Added a couple of rivets for strength. Used it today. Works better than the tire at keeping grass under the mower, but still needs some sealing. Going to add foam insulation strips to it for next time.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Where there's a will, there's a way ! ... Necessity is the mother of invention !

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
I just wanted to toss out that another school of thought for mulch plugs is not to try to wholly block the discharge, just to restrict the flow of clippings while still allowing the air to escape. This can be done with a slotted blocking plate or by using expanded steel mesh.

Bob E

Threads
I just wanted to toss out that another school of thought for mulch plugs is not to try to wholly block the discharge, just to restrict the flow of clippings while still allowing the air to escape. This can be done with a slotted blocking plate or by using expanded steel mesh.

If mulching grass I've found the clippings usually just plug up any hole small enough to restrict their flow, but when mulching leaves the air will blow out from under the front of the deck blowing the leaves away before you can mulch them unless you have holes in the plug to let the air flow through. Dead leaves are dry and brittle so they usually won't plug the holes.

Like minds man. I dig your homemade mulch plug. :thumbsup:
IMG_1756.JPG

LarryJohnson

Threads

That's very creative. I will definitely try this.

If mulching grass I've found the clippings usually just plug up any hole small enough to restrict their flow, but when mulching leaves the air will blow out from under the front of the deck blowing the leaves away before you can mulch them unless you have holes in the plug to let the air flow through. Dead leaves are dry and brittle so they usually won't plug the holes.

Like minds man. I dig your homemade mulch plug. :thumbsup:
View attachment 37641

I had to order some parts for the mower, and since I'm working full time again, I broke down and bought the oem mulch cover. The oem cover is really think, much more so than the homemade one from a bucket. I'm not sure how it would hold up to rocks, and I have no intention of testing it. I do run over the occasional pine cone.

The mulched grass does seem to fly up in my face more than without the cover. I still prefer mulching to leaving shredded grass all over the lawn.