HUSQVARNA YT42DXLS OBSERVATION AND QUESTION

vtdog

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have just 10 hours on a newly purchased Husq YT42DXLS with the 21.5hp Kawasaki engine. This unit replaces an old (at least 15 years) old Craftsman that I had with the 20hp Kohler twin. The engine was still running great, but the tractor itself was starting to have costly repairs and as I do my own maintenance it was just "time"
Observations:
1. The new tractor cuts very well and the engine is very solid. I am pleased with the purchase.
2. The engine really is a gas hog. I could cut my 1.5 acres at least 2x and sometimes 3 on a gallon of gas with the Craftsman. The new tractor uses about a gallon for each cut. Although it is only slightly more powerful it just uses a lot of gas. I don't know why.
3. I had to add 1/2 qt. of oil after 5 hours of use. The second 5 hours has resulted in no oil use so I suspect all is well.

Question:
The tractor has a fuel level "gauge" which is actually a slot cut into the metal frame of the housing to see into the plastic tank.
I have been unable to figure out how to tell how much gas is in the tank. I just cant see any fuel through the window at any level. Does anyone have any ideas, or suggestions regarding viewing the fuel level?

Thanks

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hang on to that Craftsman if you've got one that'll cut 4.5 acres on one gallon of gas. That's more efficient than a diesel.

deck~dragger

Threads
Surprising, I have read several posts about the great fuel economy of the Kawasaki.

I have a Husqvarna YT46LS and seems the fuel sight is at the lower part of the tank and when refueling, once the fuel fills to the top of the sight I can add quite a bit more fuel [more than a gallon] to top off the tank. After you use 1/2 a tank, while mowing you should be able to glance down and easily see the fuel sloshing around in the sight.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have not measured the fuel use on my Husqy with Intek 24, but it is a gas hog compared with my dyt 4000 Intek 24. The husqy is ? 300 lbs heavier. The sight window is widely criticized on my unit. The transparency is about like a bathroom window . I use the view of the tank from the back. Just below the seat there is a "step" in the tank which is easily seen. Gas level with that step is a little over one gallon. When it disappears you have to try to see what the front window shows which is difficult. At least there is a reserve with valve on my model.

deck~dragger

Threads
I had a Craftsman DYT4000 with the 18.5 Intek, manual transmission, was a great mower, plenty powerful enough for a 42" deck. Had it 13 years and was wearing out, decided to buy a new mower. Hard to find a new mower with a manual transmission and could not find one in the size that I wanted with a single cylinder engine.
I decided on a Husqvarna YT46LS hydro. Bought a used tire and rim set , the wider 20x10x10" tires, that used to come standard on a lot of mowers, sanded and painted the rims Husqvarna gray. The ride is so much smoother than the skinny tires that came on it.
Came with a Kohler 7000 series 26 h.p. engine that seems to do well enough on gas.
Seems there is a horsepower war between brands. My first mower was a 1979 cub cadet with an 11 h.p. engine, although out weighing these new mower by a lot, the 11 hp was plenty enough.
I suppose in 10 years we will have 30+ hp mowers that weigh 400 lbs?

deck~dragger

Threads
^^correction- 20x10-8 tires^^

vtdog

Forum Newbie
Threads
Seems like no one has info on how to figure out gas level. Now have another question:
What mulch kit will fit this unit. I have had trouble finding the right part. It may be 587 41 23 01, but so far have not been able to confirm. Does anyone know?