Newer troy built push mower gov searching

Homer1

Threads
I got a little push mower about 3 years back from Lowes, it's a Troy Built, model ? . I bought it because it had the little Honda engine on it, which I felt like would be the best bet for longevity. Last 2 years it's worked great, had the pull back spring choke that closes itself off after a few seconds.

Anyway, this year, when I fired it up with new gas, it is surging up and down, even when hot, and won't level out.

What's the most common thing I need to look at to get it running right. Haven't worked on push mowers much.

Thanks.

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
Your carb probably needs a good cleaning out.
I tried mine 2X to no avail before I ran it thru the ultrasonic cleaner.
That did the trick....

Homer1

Threads
sigh.. I will try and clean it when I have time. I am assuming I will have to find a seal or gasket of some sort as well. Maybe it's new enough that the rubber won't be degraded and I can re-use it.

After all, It's just a back-up mower and a garden weed chopper.

Homer1

Threads
Got the message regarding the gaskets, thanks. That helps.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Anyway, this year, when I fired it up with new gas, it is surging up and down, even when hot, and won't level out.

What's the most common thing I need to look at to get it running right. Haven't worked on push mowers much.

Thanks.

Most likely, the fuel has decayed and gone from a liquid to a slime, which is blocking the main jet or emulsion tube. While a little compressed air and carb cleaner spray 'might' do the job, an entire, brand-new genuine Honda carb for the GCV160 engine can be had for around $15. You'll need the ENGINE serial number on the side of the block, which is in the form of GXXXX-1234567:

[
attachment.php

Next, with the full engine serial, you can then look up a new carb part using Honda's Official Parts Page: peparts.honda.com

Enter the serial number, a volia! All the parts are there. Find the CARB section, and get the part number for it.

Finally, Google the part number to find dealer selling it online, or use this link to find and buy from a dealer in your area:

Find A Honda Dealer

Attachments

• gcv160 sn location.jpg
    gcv160 sn location.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 11

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
an entire, brand-new genuine Honda carb for the GCV160 engine can be had for around $15. You'll need the ENGINE serial number on the side of the block, which is in the form of GXXXX-1234567:

Enter the serial number, a volia! All the parts are there. Find the CARB section, and get the part number for it.

Finally, Google the part number to find dealer selling it online, or use this link to find and buy from a dealer in your area:

Find A Honda Dealer

My GCV160 has the auto choke.
The carb for my particular engine would have cost about %50.00

The ultrasonic cleaner did the trick for me....