Intek series 7 40R577 ENGINE

Bogart

Threads
Near enough decided to buy a Husqvarna ride on mower fitted with BS series 7 Intek 40R577 engine. Are these engines suitable and up to the job? Any well kinown problems or tips on them/

Regards

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Try including the model number and year of the Husky. Maybe that will motivate someone. I have a Husqy with a 44 series , a 48" rider with a locking differential The "4xx" may indicate part of the endurance engine series and as such supposedly a cut above the basic Intek V like the other big box unit I have and which runs too hot.

Bogart

Threads
Model is R 124TC this years 2017. Is not an endurance model. One big plus over the BS on my current mower is that at least this has an oil filter. Whoever designed an engine without a filter!

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not so long ago, oil filters were optional on cars. Unheard of on small air cooled engines because they were splash lubricated and didn't have an oil pump to pump oil through a filter.

Homer1

Threads
I like the briggs myself. I usually choose the series 8 engines because of the oil cooler option, but I'm not sure that really gains it any further longevity than the Intek. The Intek has a better air filter setup due to the pre-filter, imo. That engine has the cast iron sleeves, it should hold up to whatever you will throw at it. Just change your oil in accordance with the manual recommendation and try to find non ethanol fuel locally and your good to go.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Model is R 124TC this years 2017. Is not an endurance model. One big plus over the BS on my current mower is that at least this has an oil filter. Whoever designed an engine without a filter!

I used to think that way myself but having been a service tech for the past few years has really changed my mind.
I see 40 year old side bangers running quite fine with little evidence of excessive wear, provided the owners actually changed the oil.
Considering that most mowers are seasonal and most owners change their oil at the end of the season, not because the oil is worn out but to avoid the problems of the engine sitting there with dirty ACID oil in the engine and no oil filter will pull out acid by products.
If any modification is needed to the oil system, it is an low oil shutdown because low oil damage out numbers dirty oil damage 100:1 on the mowers coming through my gate.

Next the market gets what the market will pay for and the market wants cheap not good and to be honest the average desk pilot mower buyer would be hard put to work out what was and was not a good mower or a good feature of a mower engine.
Mower engines are under very little stress, just think about it.
Your 400 cc engine is putting out a whopping 17 Hp
A motorcycle engine of the same capacity is putting out 70 Hp

Bogart

Threads
Thanks for the replies guys all very relevant. Ethanol free not available here but E5 is common.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
A lot of Briggs engine are still splash lube even with the oil pump and filter. Or at least partial splash lube.

Bogart

Threads
One thing that does not seem to have improved over the old engine is the position of the oil drain plug. I can see again when removing the plug lots of oil going over the mower chassis. Why not just extend it by a couple of inches to clear the chassis, well a couple of inches would make the difference on the Husqvarna.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
One thing that does not seem to have improved over the old engine is the position of the oil drain plug. I can see again when removing the plug lots of oil going over the mower chassis. Why not just extend it by a couple of inches to clear the chassis, well a couple of inches would make the difference on the Husqvarna.

They are optional extras several different systems but the flex hose is becoming really popular.
What I want to see is all oil filters hanging down so they can be changed cleanly.