Engine What kind of oil ?

Black Bart

Threads
Multi viscosity oil has been around for Many decades, for longer than some here have been alive ... and still there are those that do not know what it is or how it works.

Same for synthetics and additives why they are there and what they do... and now added to the misinformation regarding those add that there is someone now implying that diesel rated oil is somehow inferior to gasoline oil...?
I don't know if some just don't care enough to find out facts about better oils or if it is they have some partial remembered misinformation ... but it is amazing how much opposite information gets posted everywhere... I sure hope that those, that are unsure do a bit more reading than just skimming the nonsense that gets perpetuated... Use the resources that are available, this information is available World Wide... There are no lubrication 'secrets' anymore... it's 2012 not 1952... but still there is too many completely wrong statements made about oils..

You will never find a better oil for an air cooled engine than a Diesel rated, multi-viscosity synthetic... You can subtract any of those 3 things... each time you do you will have a Lesser lubricant...
:smile:KennyV

Kenny you are correct every time the subject of oil comes up on this forum the misinformation start flying.
More people are misinformed about oil than anything else.

Want to see what I'm talking about look up the post where JD was auguring with me that conventional oil was better than synthetic then it was revealed that he did not even know what the base stock was made of.
How can someone argue about something they know absolutely nothing about. :confused2:

As to using diesel in a gas engine nearly all have a SL/SN/SM rating I use Shell T-6 in all 3 of my
John Deere's and also in my 1178HP Corvette.

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
jmurray01, this is now an eternal thread, we will never know the true answer until we make a virgin sacrifice to the oil gods, virgin oil that is!:confused2::laughing:
I fear you may be correct...

The bottom line is - Use the type of oil your manual tells you to use!

Be that 10W30, 10W40, 15W40, SAE30, or whatever.