5.5hp not starting

wrenchmaster024

Forum Newbie
Threads
we have spark, i replaced the diaphragm and gasket, and i changed the fuel out of it, and the spark plug, it has a pneumatic governor, you can open it to WOT and it will start for a second then die, its a yard pro push mower with self propel.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds to me like you may have an air leak. First, did you install the gasket and diaphragm in the correct order? It will not pump properly if install wrong. Second, take some carb cleaner around the area where the carb meets the tank and where the carb attaches to the block while engine try's to run. If it try's to run or changes RPM's, this verifies an air leak. Please provide us with the model, type and code numbers for your engine. This will give us a better picture of what you are talking about.

wrenchmaster024

Forum Newbie
Threads
It doesn't run long enough to try using carb cleaner like that, but yes it should be right I put diaphragm first and gasket after

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Diaphragm against the carb, gasket against the tank. Try to start and run by spraying carb cleaner directly into the air horn. If you can do so, we know there is an air leak. Also, are you sure the primer is working? Can you see gas when you push on the bulb?

wrenchmaster024

Forum Newbie
Threads
Diaphragm against the carb, gasket against the tank. Try to start and run by spraying carb cleaner directly into the air horn. If you can do so, we know there is an air leak. Also, are you sure the primer is working? Can you see gas when you push on the bulb?
primer is working i got the air filter off of it and you can see it squirting fuel in it. i also took the plastic tube that comes off the carb and to the cylinder and inspected it and it didnt seem to have any cracks or damage. i think that we did not put the diaphragm on the right way i think we have the diaphragm on the tank and the gasket on the carb.

Threads
Yes the flimsy one goes on the tank and the hard gasket goes on top of it. The carb goes on next and be sure the holes are lined up perfect so the screws don't mess the diaphram up. If the do then you are gonna have air leak........

Wind is picking up here by the hour. Harvey will be in my area tomorrow sometime >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

zman111666

Threads
If after all that it still won't go, pull the little valve breather cover right behind the muffler, and pull the cord slowly while watching the valves. Make sure one isn't stuck open. If it is, you can usually just spray em with WD40, wait a bit, and work them with a screwdriver. Just don't force anything too hard. Turn the engine to where you can back the tappet off, then close the valve. little more spray, then turn the engine to open it. Should go on it's own by this time. Sometimes they just gum up a bit from sitting with old oil.