Kohler 7000 (ZT740) No charge condition stumped

boomer632

Forum Newbie
Threads
Im chasing a no charge condition on my Kohler Confidant. So far here's what I have done.

1) Took fully charged 3 1/2 year old battery to Advance: Checked out OK 300 CCA
2) Took RR to Kohler dealer. They put it on the Kohler tester: OK
3) Checked both stator wires to ground: OK, no continuity on either wire
4) Checked resistance of stator wire to wire: OK between 0.64 and 0.2 OHMS
5) Made up a ground wire. One end to RR, other end to negative battery terminal: No change
6) Replaced key switch: No change
7) Tested voltage at connected battery at 3600 rpm and applied a load (electric mower deck lift) no voltage increase to battery
8) Tested stator wires for VAC: around 42 AC volts
9) Checked the purple B+ wire for continuity back to the relay block: Shows continuity
10) I have charged the battery after it goes dead and it does hold a charge.

Am I missing something obvious here? I plan to pull the flywheel off later today to make a visual inspection despite it passing tests.

Any ideas on what the issue can be?

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
You said you have continuity back to the relay block, But do you have 12 volts at the B+ terminal (center terminal) of the voltage regulator.

Rocky J

Threads
8) Tested stator wires for VAC: around 42 AC volts , that tells you Alternator is good , no need to pull flywheel. With your volt meter on DC 20 , engine running, touch the positive probe on the center spade at the regulator and the negative to the engine block to see if you have 13 volt or more so we know the Rectifier Regulator is working. We know your alternator and battery are good and after the Regulator test then it is just wiring from the B+ at the regulator to the starter solenoid batt terminal .

boomer632

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just checked the center spade of RR with engine running. It showed 13.9 volts and got up to 14.2 or so when I applied a load. Also re checked the stator A.C. volts on outside terminsls. Showed 23 volts and increased to 42 VAC as I increased engine speed.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Follow the purple wire.
You should be able to follow that 13.9V all the way back to the battery.
Find somewhere where 13.9 goes in but does not come out and you have your voltage thief.
You mentioned a relay, if the recharge wire goes to a relay, it should go through it when the ignition is on.
It would have been really helpful if you tell us what race of mower , generator , ice cream maker we are playing with as some of the techs have access to data bases and post the wiring diagram.

boomer632

Forum Newbie
Threads
It's a Bad Boy CZT Elite. Bought new in 2014. I followed the purple wire which goes into a plug and then comes out a yellow wire with a spiraled black stripe. That wire goes into the relay. I did test that relay terminal (top center terminal) and it also shows 12.9 or so voltage. From the relay I believe it goes into the key switch. I will try to post the wire diagram from the service manual.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you have 13.9 V ( generator voltage ) at the purple wire side and 12.9V ( battery voltage) on the ignitions switch side of the relay, the relay is not tripping when the ignition switch is on.
On the wiring diagram should be the pin connection at the ignition switch

boomer632

Forum Newbie
Threads
I will replace that particular relay later. Here's the wiring diagram form Kohler manual

Attachments

• Wire.jpg
    Wire.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 8