New IS 700Z Issues & Observation

Etemplet

Threads
Well, this mower replaced my Z2004K Snapper recently. I'm not all that pumped up about the Ferris mower as I had trouble starting it the day it arrived. I was told the blade switch causes problems. Most times it starts fine but after it sits a few hours... it won't start (ie. turning the key does nothing) So I play around with a few things, engaged and disengaged the PTO and it generally starts. The last couple of times I got off the seat and sat back down. I can't figure out exactly the problem but the dealer did send me a new PTO switch. Is there a common problem that causes this on new Ferris mowers? Might be the seat switch.. who knows. I'm sure I'll be troubleshooting this issue soon after I replace the PTO switch and that doesn't solve the problem

May be my fault but the mower slung the belt off the blades on start up. I cut with the mower at a low setting (2" or a tad more) and I engaged the blades with the mower deck in the lower position. I looked under the mower and the belt is at a pretty steep angle with the deck in that low position. This seems to be a design issue but I instructed my wife not to engage the blades unless the deck was in the stowed (highest) position. I'm sure the belts life will be appreciably shortened as a result of this mishap.

I didn't like the way things were working when I got the mower so I went through the book, made adjustments, greased a few items, loosened a few bolts here and there. If there are issues with this mower I'll find them and fix them... but I'd rather not have issues. I am considering a grass catcher and maybe the suspension seat. I have really not researched either one.

I like the mower but I'll do more tweaking when I have time. This thing sure is fast and Momma likes it so I'm not complaining as long as she is cutting the grass. Ha ha.

Cheers All,
Gene
Louisiana

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
First, the seat switch is not in the starting circuit. It is in the running/mowing circuit.
PTO, brake, and neutral are in starting circuit.

Etemplet

Threads
First, the seat switch is not in the starting circuit. It is in the running/mowing circuit.
PTO, brake, and neutral are in starting circuit.

Thanks for the quick response. I'd like to get a shop manual for the mower so I can find the information you generously shared. :) I find it strange that if it is the PTO switch... the PTO engages and disengages just fine. Perhaps there is another part of the switch that is not working properly. I don't even get a click. I turn the key 3 or for times and nothing. I fiddle around with the park lever, seat, and PTO. I admit that at times the the Park lever has been in the wrong position but not very often.

I don't believe this mower will have any problem lasting me 15-20 years on the same engine so the sooner I get it where I like it the more I will enjoy it. I call my wife "The Lawnmower" on Facebook. I say... "The Lawnmower is broke down, I sure hope she feels better soon it is just too hot for me to be out there." :) It gets the ladies riled up sor sure. Ha ha.

Thanks for the help,
Gene

Etemplet

Threads
Any ideas on the Belt coming off ?? It does give a healthy "jerk" when engaged so I am sure this assisted in the belt coming off the pulley. It rides so close to the top of the pulley it is easy for the belt to climb up and off the pulley. As mentioned, we now engage the the PTO with the deck in the stowed position. Perhaps we should engage the PTO at a lower RPM. I see this as a design issue but don't feel the need to modify anything. A dealer told me the newer models had a different pulley and I am not sure I have a 2016 or 2017. I really didn't care as the price made me very happy. LOL

I also would like to get some spare blades, filters and want to swap to mulching blades. I am also considering the grass catcher but I don't like the bulkiness.

On a side note, we have had so much rain this year it is difficult to cut the grass without scarring the yard especially around the many azaleas on a tight radius turn. Our last mower was the Zero Turn Snapper with the Single Joystick control. It was pretty cool but we had the same issues with that one. My wife and I are definitely soft handed at the controls but this mower is so fast it digs out when you drop the hammer. I never ride it at full speed buy my wife Sissy rocks it !

Happy with the purchase and believe I got the best more for the job and comfort of the operator.

Cheers,
Gene

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks for the quick response. I'd like to get a shop manual for the mower so I can find the information you generously shared. :) I find it strange that if it is the PTO switch... the PTO engages and disengages just fine. Perhaps there is another part of the switch that is not working properly. I don't even get a click. I turn the key 3 or for times and nothing. I fiddle around with the park lever, seat, and PTO. I admit that at times the the Park lever has been in the wrong position but not very often.

I don't believe this mower will have any problem lasting me 15-20 years on the same engine so the sooner I get it where I like it the more I will enjoy it. I call my wife "The Lawnmower" on Facebook. I say... "The Lawnmower is broke down, I sure hope she feels better soon it is just too hot for me to be out there." :) It gets the ladies riled up sor sure. Ha ha.

Thanks for the help,
Gene

It's not really that all that it's the PTO switch because every safety switch runs through the PTO switch. So any of them or not working the PTO will also not work. By the way the service manual is written to a person that already knows how to work on a lawn mower it does not teach you how to work on it it just shows you where the parts are and what they are. We only one that does that is John Deere.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Any ideas on the Belt coming off ?? It does give a healthy "jerk" when engaged so I am sure this assisted in the belt coming off the pulley. It rides so close to the top of the pulley it is easy for the belt to climb up and off the pulley. As mentioned, we now engage the the PTO with the deck in the stowed position. Perhaps we should engage the PTO at a lower RPM. I see this as a design issue but don't feel the need to modify anything. A dealer told me the newer models had a different pulley and I am not sure I have a 2016 or 2017. I really didn't care as the price made me very happy. LOL

I also would like to get some spare blades, filters and want to swap to mulching blades. I am also considering the grass catcher but I don't like the bulkiness.

On a side note, we have had so much rain this year it is difficult to cut the grass without scarring the yard especially around the many azaleas on a tight radius turn. Our last mower was the Zero Turn Snapper with the Single Joystick control. It was pretty cool but we had the same issues with that one. My wife and I are definitely soft handed at the controls but this mower is so fast it digs out when you drop the hammer. I never ride it at full speed buy my wife Sissy rocks it !

Happy with the purchase and believe I got the best more for the job and comfort of the operator.

Cheers,
Gene

I would start the PTO when deck is at cut level. In you manual it should tell you what the throttle should be at. 3/4 to 1/2 for most.

Etemplet

Threads
I would start the PTO when deck is at cut level. In you manual it should tell you what the throttle should be at. 3/4 to 1/2 for most.

Will the incorrect throttle position hold out the start circuit?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I do not understand the question.

Jeanine.

Forum Newbie
Threads
Gene: Check out my post on the recent revelation re: the material and design defects in the front suspension system. If your wife is cruising at a good clip, need to be careful especially on turns and inclines in the event that the wheels literally fall off this bus like it did to us...twice.