Bad short in electrical system CV25S

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
25 amps is not enough to heat up battery cables or make the battery smoke.

25A AC is more than enough to melt wires if connected to a battery.
A 10 Amp ( 60 Watt ) dynamo can happily melt the wires on old Pommie bikes and generate enough hydrogen to cause the battery to explode.
This was a bigger problem with the old hard rubber battery cases which litterally did explode while the latter plastic batteries just pop the top off .
See it dozens of times.
And I have a spot welder that melts steel while only drawing 5 amps.
It ain't the amps and I can not understand why you are fixated on Amps.
It is the resistance that creates the heating .
You can melt wires with a single D cell battery, if it does not explode first.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm "fixated" on amps because with the very low resistance of large wires, you have to put LOTS of amps through them to make them hot. Those wires don't know or care whether you're asking them to carry DC or AC current--I have yet to see a wire labeled "For DC only" or "For AC only." All they know is whether you are exceeding the amperage capacity for which they were designed. If you exceed it, they get hot.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I'm "fixated" on amps because with the very low resistance of large wires, you have to put LOTS of amps through them to make them hot. Those wires don't know or care whether you're asking them to carry DC or AC current--I have yet to see a wire labeled "For DC only" or "For AC only." All they know is whether you are exceeding the amperage capacity for which they were designed. If you exceed it, they get hot.

Quite correct but the wire connected to a big resistor will get hot and if you are pumping AC into a battery, it is a big resistor.
The wies running to your room heater are quite capable of carrying the amps the heater draws, but they get quite hot and the heat starts from the heater end.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
If the amperage rating of a wire is not exceeded, such as is the case in the house/heater example, the wire may get warm--not hot.

In Bleach's lawnmower's case, he said the battery wires got HOT. That will not occur unless they're overloaded, such as a dead short.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the amperage rating of a wire is not exceeded, such as is the case in the house/heater example, the wire may get warm--not hot.

In Bleach's lawnmower's case, he said the battery wires got HOT. That will not occur unless they're overloaded, such as a dead short.

First of all, I can see where you are coming from.
Second, one man's warm is another man's hot.
Third the main wires are rated at 100A continious .
The only thing that can supply more than 100 A is the battery
So by following your over current load logic, it has to be a short in the main power wires because any other wire passing enough amps to heat the main power wires would melt or blow the fuse.

But the fuse does not blow and problem only happens when the mower is running.

There is no part of the main power supply that is in circuit engine running and out of circuit engine off.
The only time you get a heavy load is when the solenoid is energised and if the solenoid was shorting to ground after being de-energised, ( engine running / starter off ) it would stay short, ignition or or ignition off.
Electrically the only difference mower running to mower not running is the secondary power supply coming from the alternator.
Thus if the problem only happens when the engine is running the most logical source of the problem will be the charging system.
Now batteries get hot when one of 2 things happen
1) connected to too high a voltage ( 16V +)
2) connected to a reverse flow of current (Wired backwards or getting AC )

If the battery plates are getting hot, the battery terminals will get hot .
If the battery terminals are hot then then heat will also travel back through the terminals and into the wires so they will get hot.

As mentioned earlier this was very common in the 30's to the 60's with Lucas dynamos fitted to motorcycles that would reverse polarize when left not in use for a long time, flatten the battery and then boil it or explode it when the bike was running by pumping current backwards into the battery. And we are talking 5A to 10A on a 6V system or 3A to 6A on a 12 V system.

Bleach

Threads
OK I figured it out this evening. It turned out it was a very easy fix and it turned out I have to admit I am a total idiot. The terminal where the positive cable attaches to the starter was shorting out on the exhaust pipe. It was obscured by the rubber cover on the terminal. It had been attached that way for quite some time and I didn't even think to look there. It may have only been only time before the cap wore through to expose the terminal and I may have hit something to cause it to shift just enough to cause a short.
When I hooked up the battery again it sparked and got hot. I had a feeling to check the cables again so traced the cable and sure enough that's when I found it. I pulled the exhaust pipe down away from the the starter hooked the battery to start it and this time no sparks and now hot cables.
I think my prayers to St. Anthony were heard! Thank you St. Anthony for helping me find this simple problem.
Now may I have my serving of crow too?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That is good to hear
looks like it is cpurvis 1 bert 0 at full time

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Don't sweat it, Bert! The real score is now probably more like Bert 25 cpurv 1.

Bleach

Threads
Either way you guys are awesome!