How hard is it to swap engines?

rubantin

Threads
I have 2 older Craftsman riders. One is a 6 speed with the shifter on the fender.. maybe hydrostatic? It has the brake/clutch spring puck assembly on the right side. The other is a gt6000 with the high/low 6/12 geared tranny... But it has a bad engine.

The Gt6000 has a bunch or shielding around the engine. So it's hard to see where everything mounts. Both are 18hp Briggs twins. The gt6000 had the gold edition.

How hard is it to swap?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
With out the numbers off the engines we will not be able to tell you.

Homer1

Threads
More than likely, it's doable. But you need to form a plan or do your research. Ask the guys here on the forum, I have like 20 posts going just on 1 repower, and I am nearly ready to pull the trigger on a complete plan.

Give ue some details on exact model info and engines, we will see what we can do.

Rocky J

Threads
I have 2 older Craftsman riders. One is a 6 speed with the shifter on the fender.. maybe hydrostatic? It has the brake/clutch spring puck assembly on the right side. The other is a gt6000 with the high/low 6/12 geared tranny... But it has a bad engine.

The Gt6000 has a bunch or shielding around the engine. So it's hard to see where everything mounts. Both are 18hp Briggs twins. The gt6000 had the gold edition.

How hard is it to swap?
Because they are both Briggs twins you should have no problem. The fact you have both tractors complete allows you to use the right exhaust if different, the pulley on the bottom of the engine for sure you always keep the pulley with the tractor it came off of. There is a small possibility the charging system is bigger on one so look at the plug on the wires coming from under the flywheel ,might have to swap the flywheel and stater . Take off the throttle/choke cables, fuel line ,unplug wires ,remove exhaust if necessary if different, using a 6 inch extension and 5/8 socket remove the bolt from inside the double pulley on the bottom of the engine and do not misplace it because it is fine thread and the right length, Tie the clutch peddle down all the way with a tarp strap giving yourself a loose belt for the in and out procedure , take out the 4 bolts in the engine base. If your lucky none of the 4 bolts will break off from the reaction of a steel bolt in a aluminium block. Because I am old and forgetful I start every job with taking a lot of pictures and it proves to answer a lot of questions later . You have to do it because any thing built like that GT6000 today would be $4000 or more and the Briggs Twin was a good engine if you kept it off of ditch bank mowing.