Need advice on YT42DXLS Husqvarna mower.

SpudDaddy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have owned two riding mowers in my life a 42 inch Craftsmen mower and a Troybilt MTD 46 inch Horse mower. I got very good use out of the Craftsmen - it was as much a bush hog as a mower. The Troy Bilt on the other hand has been an absolute piece of junk. So I am in the market for a new mower. I will be cutting roughly 2.5 acres (5 acre lot partially wooded). I have about 40 fruit trees that I have to cut around some are fenced - limited space in between each tree. I am in the piedmont region of Virginia - so some moderately steep hills.

I have one non-negotiable requirement - I want a 42 inch deck.

I have looked at John Deere X300 series and the Husqvarna YT42DXLS. When I look at the John Deere vs Husqvarna models the Husqvarna YT42DXLS is ahead of the John Deere X350 - the Husqvarna has limited slip, larger engine and a fabricated deck. You are looking $2649 Husqvarna vs $3200 John Deere before any discount. The X370 John Deere would give me a better transmission and power steering at $4000.

So does anyone own the YT42DXLS and can provide feedback on there experience? I am worried about the fabricated deck on the YT42DXLS - I understand it is supposed to be more rugged than a stamped deck but then I hear the stories about the fab decks not throwing grass well and clogging. I also worry about the KT46 transmission - the durability of the transmission in the YT42DXLS.

The 42 inch deck really limits me - what I really want is a GT Lawn Tractor but I can only find the 42 inch deck in a Club Cadet XT3 at $4300. Anyway please share your insight into Husqvarna, the YT42DXLS, fab decks and other insights.

Last edited:

deminin

Threads
I have owned two riding mowers in my life a 42 inch Craftsmen mower and a Troybilt MTD 46 inch Horse mower. I got very good use out of the Craftsmen - it was as much a bush hog as a mower. The Troy Bilt on the other hand has been an absolute piece of junk. So I am in the market for a new mower. I will be cutting roughly 2.5 acres (5 acre lot partially wooded). I have about 40 fruit trees that I have to cut around some are fenced - limited space in between each tree. I am in the piedmont region of Virginia - so some moderately steep hills.

Both Husqvarna and JD are good mowers....largely dependent upon the care they receive. I have a Husky 24hp/48" cut that has been great. It has a fabricated deck with reinforcing strips at the edges, which has taken several "rubs" against trees without sustaining any damage. If you are Locked into a 42 in deck, your choices may be a bit limited. If you have a Lowe's near you, you might take a look at their Husky 42"...with an 18.5 Hp B&S engine...it is on sale for $1400.

SpudDaddy

Forum Newbie
Threads

--------------------------

Both Husqvarna and JD are good mowers....largely dependent upon the care they receive. I have a Husky 24hp/48" cut that has been great. It has a fabricated deck with reinforcing strips at the edges, which has taken several "rubs" against trees without sustaining any damage. If you are Locked into a 42 in deck, your choices may be a bit limited. If you have a Lowe's near you, you might take a look at their Husky 42"...with an 18.5 Hp B&S engine...it is on sale for $1400.

---------------------------
Hi Deminin,

I had gone to three local Husqvarna dealers and decided I wasn't dealing with them. One I have dealt with in the past for Husqvarna and Stihl Chainsaw and Trimmer repairs - they are ok for small repairs but I would not trust them with a riding mower and the other two are older dealers with attitude and reputation issues. So I went to the fourth and final dealer that is about 40 minutes away - I had never dealt with them before.

When I walked I was meant by a young girl - could not have been older than eighteen who proceeded to walk me through the fine points of Husqvarna mowers - she knew engines, transmissions, decks, accessories, warranties which mowers to use in which top of scenario. It was impressive. They had a GT48DXLS which is not on the Husqvarna web site for $2799. It had the Kawasaki 24 HP engine, fab deck, selective locking rear differential, PTO, K66 transmission and a decent warranty. The bagger was only $350 due to the clear cut deck (no blower required). So I backed off the 42 inch deck and went with the GT48DXLS. The dealer is 5 years old so it is established but not too old to have an attitude. They had a full selection of mowers/chainsaws/trimmers. I felt like they wanted my business so they got it.

The other thing I appreciated was the Husqvarna dealer was out of stock of the bagger - they will deliver the mower either Monday or Wednesday and the owner will come out and put the bagger on as soon as they get it in. They could have made me wait for the bagger to show up and then bring the mower.

I may regret not getting the John Deere- I have a feeling the frame and the general sturdiness of the X300 series was likely better. The local John Deere dealer is professional and they have the return guarantee if you do not like there product. I did not want to pay $4000 for the X370 to get the better transmission and I had a hard time paying $3200 for the X350 with substantially less components/features. The local dealer would not budge much off of the price and I was not willing to wait until February to see if John Deere offered the $500 off X300 series coupon like they did last year.

I can see why some people hate Husqvarna - there dealer network does not start to compare to John Deere. Hopefully I found a winner in the dealer/mower I picked. Deminin - Thanks for your reply!

deminin

Threads
------------------------
Hi Deminin,I can see why some people hate Husqvarna - there dealer network does not start to compare to John Deere. Hopefully I found a winner in the dealer/mower I picked. Deminin - Thanks for your reply!

It sounds like you found the mower/deal/dealer that you like, and that is great. I think you will also like the slightly bigger mower. I lucked out on my Husqvarna, in that I got mine from a neighbor who really couldn't use it on his chewed up property...too many big rocks and stumps, etc. It was only 1 year old, and only had 20 hours on it. I gave him $1300, and haven't had to do anything on it but change all the oil and filters, and give it a good cleanup. I mow about 2 acres with a fair amount of trees, and some moderate slopes, and the Husky does a great job. I gave it a real workout a couple of weeks ago...a neighbor has been ill for the past few weeks, and couldn't mow his property, so I went over there and did his yard. The grass was so high I was almost ready to take the tractor and brush hog to do it, but decided to let the Husky try to mow his hay field. Even though the grass was a foot high in places, the 24 HP Husky did a good job and the engine barely bogged down even in the worst spots. I clean it up good after every use, and try to care real good care of all my "toys"....my last rider, a Snapper, lasted 14 years, and I hope to get that much, or more out of this Husky.