x320 lawn tractor, powerflow, BM22696 fan repair

x320

Forum Newbie
Threads
My second BM22696 fan has crashed and I would like to repair it myself. The first was original equipment and it lasted 7 years. The second was a new BM22696 ($600) unit recommended by my dealer instead of repairing the first unit. It lasted 2 years. I'm trying to get some help from JD since two years and under 60 hours seems like an unreasonable life. Not sure JD cares about me as a customer. In the meantime, I would like to try repairing it myself. I can buy all the replacement parts but am concerned about getting the bearings out of the plate. Any one out there have any helpful hints.

Thanks,
Larry

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
What is it doing. They are very simply built. Could not imagine having any issues with it.

x320

Forum Newbie
Threads
The fan is wobbling on the shaft. What happened to the first one was the fan was completely hollowed out from the shaft. I suspect this one is the same. Hard to believe others have not had this problem. I assume the two bearings, bushing and shaft all have to be replaced with the fan. It looks like over $100 dollar in parts. I plan on fixing it myself if John Deere refuses. My dealer said they or JD would not do anything even though the unit is only 2 years old. YouTube has a video about removing and installing bearings on a fixed casting using a harbor freight tool for removal and dry ice for installing. Appreciate and more info or helpful hints. Thanks for your reply.

Larry

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am not much on sealed bearings. If you have to do it yourself I would pop the cover off the bearings and load them with grease then put the cover back on and then install them.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would suggest you upgrade your bearings to this style of bearing if at all possible. Most are greaseable. http://www.usabearingsandbelts.com/ is a great resource and normally half the price of others. They are called 2-Bolt Flange Bearing Unit-UCFL
bearings.jpg

x320

Forum Newbie
Threads
Chuck,

Thanks for the advice on the bearings. I'm hoping JD will take care of me but I'm getting ready if they won't. The dealer still has my power flow unit and I had a call Saturday from JD but could not get the rep when I called back.
I will call them again Monday. I will let the forum know what happens.