Kohler Confidant ZT740 Flywheel Removal

boomer632

Forum Newbie
Threads
First post here so here goes..

I have a BB mower running a Kohler 740 Confidant that has developed an issue with not charging battery. Ive tested the RR and stator but still want to visually inspect the stator. The flywheel has no threaded holes to mount a puller. The service manual says to use a large jaw puller and pull from the ring gear. Ive resourced several jaw pullers and the pawls on the pullers are too thick to fit under the flywheel. Brilliant design..

Ive read that prying up on flywheel against block, the striking a socket on the crank works but is quite risky especially with Kohler cast cranks. I have attached a picture of the flywheel. Those 2 holes are definitely not threaded

Any thoughts on how to get this thing off?
Thank in advance..

Attachments

• 20170824_142925.jpg
    20170824_142925.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 10

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First post here so here goes..

I have a BB mower running a Kohler 740 Confidant that has developed an issue with not charging battery. Ive tested the RR and stator but still want to visually inspect the stator. The flywheel has no threaded holes to mount a puller. The service manual says to use a large jaw puller and pull from the ring gear. Ive resourced several jaw pullers and the pawls on the pullers are too thick to fit under the flywheel. Brilliant design..

Ive read that prying up on flywheel against block, the striking a socket on the crank works but is quite risky especially with Kohler cast cranks. I have attached a picture of the flywheel. Those 2 holes are definitely not threaded

Any thoughts on how to get this thing off?
Thank in advance..

:welcome:

Exactly as you stated,
Screw the bolt back into the crank short 1 thread
Put a wrecking bar under the flywheel and lever it up very hard
Smack the bolt head.
or
Tap the 2 holes and use a puller
Spend hours trying to remove all of the metal filings from the magnets
or
grind down the jaws of the puller you bought

What you should not do is strike the flywheel as that can initate cracks that will manifest themselves with the flywheel exploding in service or cause the magnets to fall off and destroy the stator.
I think you will find your mower has a forged crank.
Forged cranks are thin because the steel is stronger.
Cast cranks are thick because the steel is weaker.
Thus cast cranks are generally around 1.5" to 2" at the top.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Bert beat me to it, follow his directions.