Toro PTO clutch adjustable?

CWatters

Threads
Can anyone tell me if the PTO clutch on my Toro is adjustable?

The Toro Part number of the clutch is 104-3334 and it's on a DH220 Model 74592 (European model).

I've watched a few YouTube vids on various PTO clutches but most seem to have three slots into which a feeler gauge can be inserted and three mounting nuts which can be used to adjust it. Mine doesn't seem to have those.

The clutch looks a bit like this one.
x0003_4.jpg

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Nonadjustable. What is the problem you are trying to solve?

CWatters

Threads
Nonadjustable. What is the problem you are trying to solve?

When I pull the knob to engage the blade clutch it slips. With a helper I can see the belt twitch and hear the clutch hiss so pretty sure not an electrical problem. Been getting worse and worse. This week there were times when I had to switch it switch it on and off 5-7 times before it bites and turns the blades.

Thought if it was worn it might be worth adjusting before replacing but I guess that's not possible.

CWatters

Threads
Actually now I think about it I had better have a closer look. I suppose it's possible the belt is slipping on the clutch pulley. I didn't look close enough to see if the pulley was turning. Couldn't smell a burning belt though.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
The belt would probably make a squealing noise, not a hiss. I think you diagnosed it correctly the first time but it can't hurt to put a mark on the belt and see.

CWatters

Threads
In the end I ordered a third party replacement clutch from the USA (I'm in the UK) and it took about an hour to fit yesterday. Easier job than I expected and solved the problem. I was concerned that it would be hard to get the keyway aligned or it would be tight on the shaft but it went on ok in the end.

I took the precaution of ordering a "harness repair kit" with the clutch in case the connector on the new clutch was different to one on the original clutch. Turned out it was different. So if anyone reading this is thinking of buying a third party clutch for their mower it's worth asking for the matching connector (aka Harness repair kit).

The original clutch had a connector mounted on it and a short detachable cable (<6") to connect between the clutch and a connector on the under side of the mower. The new one had a captive cable with a different connector. It would have been a nightmare to change the connector on the mower wiring harness as that would mean soldering under the mower. So I modified the original detachable cable by combining it with the connector supplier with the repair kit. This can be done on the bench (two solder connections). So now my new clutch connects as follows..

Clutch with captive cable & plug - Socket from repair kit - original detachable cable and plug - original socket on the wiring harness.

After burnishing the clutch as stated in the instructions I cut nearly two acres of grass and it performed faultlessly.