Yaupon farmer

Yaupon farmer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Kinda slow getting back to the site. I just registered then got busy with the boss lady recovering from total knee replacement. That aside I am trying to find info on the dreaded "starts and runs but dies under a load" scenario. It's on a 2013 Toro recycler auto choke with a briggs and straton 190 engine. I dropped the carb and ran a wire through the gets in the bowl and replaced the air filter. Here's the odd part, I have been having to put a shot of gas into the sparkplug hole to get it to start then it mowed fine untill last week. That's when I changed the filter etc. Now it starts without the shot to the cylinder but will only run with the filter off. Also dies under a load with filter gapped open . No way to mow a yard not to mention debri that would get sucked in. I tried the Briggs customer service site but it didn't work well so dropped that and got on here. Have seen some youtube videos related to this type problem but none mentioned the oddity with the air filter choking the engine down. Any suggestions would or experiences would be appreciated.

Kenneth

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
:welcome:

Sounds like you have a lot going on over there!

:tractor: I'm going to move this thread over to our Toro section to see if we can find you some help.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Cause of you problem is a very lean running condition. Time to replace the carb. I normally rebuild them, but my method of rebuilding and adjusting these carbs is not recommended by most on this site. If done incorrectly you will break some parts and replace the carb at that point.

helomech

Threads
I don't have any advice, but do you actually farm yaupon? I know it can be used as tea, and it is extremely flammable. Got that crap all over my property hate it.

Yaupon farmer

Forum Newbie
Threads
I don't have any advice, but do you actually farm yaupon? I know it can be used as tea, and it is extremely flammable. Got that crap all over my property hate it.

I always thought I might be a decent farmer if I just found the right crop. I'm in southeast Texas and the stuff is native to the point of being invasive and since I'm on four acres I took the liberty of calling it a farm..of sorts. Finally found a crop I can grow successfully. By the way if you have straight growing you can trim up fron the bottom about 4' then shape the outside and cut the top flat. I have several "islands" in the yard and to me that's landscape. Maybe should change the name to Cheapskate Yaupon Farmer?

Yaupon farmer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Cause of you problem is a very lean running condition. Time to replace the carb. I normally rebuild them, but my method of rebuilding and adjusting these carbs is not recommended by most on this site. If done incorrectly you will break some parts and replace the carb at that point.

I think your dead on with the carb replace suggestion. Is there a preferred brand for Briggs engines other than Briggs oem? Will the new one require any adjustments? I think I can do a swap but beyound that who knows. Oh found a spring missing that operates the black plastic part. Fine low tension about 3'' long. It was missing when I first started on the carb right after dieing under load. Doubt that will come with the carb .
Thanks for confirming my thoughts.
YP

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
With these types of posts you should be writing cheap detective stories for TV.:laughing:
Hiding vital clues till the very end of the show.
The black plastic thing is the throttle control and the spring is the thing that controls the speed the engine runs.
Better than average chance that replacing the spring will fix your problems.
However to be sure we need a nice clean photo of the carb with the air filter housing removed so we can see the carb and all of the controls.

helomech

Threads
I always thought I might be a decent farmer if I just found the right crop. I'm in southeast Texas and the stuff is native to the point of being invasive and since I'm on four acres I took the liberty of calling it a farm..of sorts. Finally found a crop I can grow successfully. By the way if you have straight growing you can trim up fron the bottom about 4' then shape the outside and cut the top flat. I have several "islands" in the yard and to me that's landscape. Maybe should change the name to Cheapskate Yaupon Farmer?

I got 64 acres of pine plantation and the damn yaupon makes it hard to deal with. That stuff is tough and wont die. BTW I live in east Texas just north of Crockett.

Yaupon farmer

Forum Newbie
Threads
I sympathize with you big time. Only good thing for me is I prefer a native environment and plenty of "barrier" between neighbors even though I like them a lot. The bad thing is trying to clear out deadfall. That stuff is hard to snake a log through. I've been through Crockett a few times.I like that part of the Piney's.

Yaupon farmer

Forum Newbie
Threads
With these types of posts you should be writing cheap detective stories for TV.:laughing:
Hiding vital clues till the very end of the show.
The black plastic thing is the throttle control and the spring is the thing that controls the speed the engine runs.
Better than average chance that replacing the spring will fix your problems.
However to be sure we need a nice clean photo of the carb with the air filter housing removed so we can see the carb and all of the controls.

I've had a couple of gamma knife ops and a bore hole in the head and a truck load of meds to deal with so I'm lucky I remembered the spring at all...uh what was the spring for??? Comedy is as good as cheap detective stories. Now I guess I need to figure out how to post pictures and where to get the spring only local. Thanks for the reply and the tip.
YPF