Looking for reccommendations on a wide area mower.

BrokenOldGuy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am looking for recommendations for a "wide area mower". I hear great things about Toro's Timemaster. I have also looked at Columbia and Craftsman. I think these may be the same mower. I been told time and time again to stay away from Cub Cadet.
I'm looking for some input and advice with experiences.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If those are your three choices, it's a no brainer. Look at the differences in deck, drive and engine. Toro hands down. I know it costs more, but it will also cut better and last longer.

Mike88se

Threads
I want to make it clear I'm not disagreeing w/ Rivets here. I've owned a lot of mowers. I've had 3 Timemasters, a Turfmaster, and an Exmark commercial 30. I've had the newer 33" sold by Craftsman/Troybilt/Cub Cadet but I didn't have it very long. I've also owned an older 33" Cub Cadet that was similar to the 33's they make now but was all metal. The older CC 33" was quite a bit better than the newer 33s. I think the new 33s actually cost more than a Timemaster. And if you want a bag for it you'll have to pay extra. Quite a bit extra... $200 or so I think. The Timemaster comes w/ a bag. Every mower you mentioned has a Briggs engine. The engine on the 33 is bigger and more powerful.... I think the CC was 400cc while the Timemaster just got bumped up to 223cc. The 33s have 4 or 5 fw gears... IIRC even the highest gear was slower than a Timemaster. Timemaster has Personal Pace/ variable speed. Maneuverability didn't vary much although I suppose the caster wheels on the 33 make it easier to turn. It also had a reverse but I don't recall that being very useful. I don't recall cut quality being much different between any of the ones I mentioned I had. Bottom line... like Rivets I'd go with the Timemaster. There is a newish Craftsman/Troybilt/CC 28". I don't have any experience but I've heard it's good. The Troybilt version is $800 at Northern Tools. I've heard it has the same Briggs engine that the new Timemaster has. There's a bag but it's a side mounted tube going to the bag that looks like trouble. May not be an issue if you bag. May not be an issue at all... I've never tried one. The CC 33 I had also used a side mounted tube to bag. Using the bag was a minor PITA. My vote is also Toro.
cc33mower_001.JPGcc33mower_002.JPGcc33mower_003.JPG