Losing power momentarily

scgarrett3037

Forum Newbie
Threads
update on problem.....

I checked for spark on both plugs using an in-line spark plug tester. The spark plug on the left side appears good, however the right plug seems intermittent or goes so weak you can't see it during the day. I also found out the hard way that during the periods of weak or nonexistent spark the coil/ignition module (wire) is grounding to the engine block. So I'm guessing that a plug wire or connection wire has frayed and touches the engine block.

To reach these ignition modules, you have to pull the engine shroud......in order to do that, it looks as though the engine has to be pulled. My Kohler CH740 is a horizontal shaft and there is just no room in the Grasshopper to work on it.

Can anyone provide a picture of my engine (Kohler CH740S) with the shroud off and showing the ignition modules?

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads
"How freely does the deck system (pulleys,spindles,clutch and belts) move when not engaged?" ..... The pulleys, belts, blades turn easily when not engaged.

"Well you have either not cleaned the carb, reassembled the carb wrong or hooked it up wrong." ..... I didn't remove the carb, I just sprayed cleaner down the throat.

Does anyone know if there's any way of checking the fuel pump for proper operation? I forgot to mention that I have blown out all fuel lines when I replaced the fuel filter.
spraying carb cleaner into the carb is not cleaning it or helping it in anyway.........remove it, disassemble and replace all parts including the float, soak it over night in a cleaning solution...reassemble and adjust the metering screw.............then you will see a difference.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
This may help you

Attachments

• Screenshot_2.jpg
    Screenshot_2.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_1.jpg
    Screenshot_1.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 3

scgarrett3037

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you all for your responses and suggestions. They were very helpful. Tomorrow I will disconnect the engine and pull it to get at the engine shroud. Once that shroud is removed, I'll be able to get to the ignition module.
Steve

scgarrett3037

Forum Newbie
Threads
In Conclusion......

I replaces the two DSAI ignition modules with new MDI modules plus a kit which comes with the new modules. Tightened every thing up and added oil and it fired right up. Sounds great and is providing full power. Issue resolved. Thanks to all for your suggestions. Steve

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well done and thank you for the feedback.:thumbsup:

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
I love it when a plan comes together.......

We appreciate your appreciation.