Losing power momentarily

scgarrett3037

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,

I have a 2008 Grasshopper 227 mid-mount mower with a Kohler Command Pro 27 Gasoline engine. Totals hours are 580.

My problem is.....I lose power during operation. The engine RPMs will reduce about 25% and of course the blades slow down movement of the mower is slowed. It doesn't matter if the PTO is engaged or not. Then all of a sudden it seems to clear itself up and everything is fine until the next time. Sometimes this reduction in power lasts a few minutes and other times it might last 30 minutes.

I have replaced the fuel filter, both air cleaners, and I also replaced all three belts and the problem still exists. Tonight I'm going to replace the spark plugs. I've check fluid levels and all are ok.

Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas on resolving this issue.

Many thanks,

Steve

Last edited:

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
I had experienced similar problems with a Briggs Vanguard V-twin.
It would have 1 cylinder drop out, but usually came back after a few seconds.

I finally was able to determine that I was losing spark in one cyl.
I ultimately replaced the coil for the intermittent cylinder as well as the other one "for good measure."

YMMV

Last edited:

scgarrett3037

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you Ronno6 for your suggestion. I will check my coils at the earliest opportunity and report back.
Steve

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
The Kohler ignition is considerably more sophisticated than the Briggs.
Your coils are connected to a module which controls the timing of the spark depending on RPMs.
The kill wire appears to connect to the module rather than the individual coils, so I would not suspect the kill circuit.
But, there could possible be a problem with the wiring between the module and each coil?

Problem is that troubleshooting an intermittent problem is always difficult.
I was only able to get a handle on mine when the cylinder dropped out ling enough so that I could investigate.

I have no experience (yet) with Kohler engines (got one coming on a new Hustler mower.)
I'm sure there are many members who have experience with Kohler.

scgarrett3037

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just wanted to update on my problem...
I have now replaced both air cleaners, cleaned carburetor, replaced fuel filter, replaced spark plugs, and replaced all three belts. The engine now doesn't reach full power at all and when engaging the PTO it really struggles to turn the blades. I'm worse off now than I was before! Belts are adjusted to specs. Accessing the coils/modules requires more disassembly than I want to do at this time. Could this be clutch related?

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
How freely does the deck system (pulleys,spindles,clutch and belts) move when not engaged?
It is possible that a spindle bearing or idler or tension pulley has tightened up as a prelude to seizing.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just wanted to update on my problem...
I have now replaced both air cleaners, cleaned carburetor, replaced fuel filter, replaced spark plugs, and replaced all three belts. The engine now doesn't reach full power at all and when engaging the PTO it really struggles to turn the blades. I'm worse off now than I was before! Belts are adjusted to specs. Accessing the coils/modules requires more disassembly than I want to do at this time. Could this be clutch related?

Well you have either not cleaned the carb, reassembled the carb wrong or hooked it up wrong.
Commands have hydraulic lifters which don't need adjusting but they still have pushrods that bend and valves that stick.
If the engine does not come up to full revs with no load then it is not going to be any better when you engage the blades.

So why are you bothering to to even think about the clutch.

You have made a mistake when you did the service, we all do that from time to time because none of us are God so go back & recheck what you have done.

scgarrett3037

Forum Newbie
Threads
"How freely does the deck system (pulleys,spindles,clutch and belts) move when not engaged?" ..... The pulleys, belts, blades turn easily when not engaged.

"Well you have either not cleaned the carb, reassembled the carb wrong or hooked it up wrong." ..... I didn't remove the carb, I just sprayed cleaner down the throat.

Does anyone know if there's any way of checking the fuel pump for proper operation? I forgot to mention that I have blown out all fuel lines when I replaced the fuel filter.

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
Does anyone know if there's any way of checking the fuel pump for proper operation? I forgot to mention that I have blown out all fuel lines when I replaced the fuel filter.

If your engine is running, I personally would not suspect the fuel pump.
But, as your problem now appears to be continuous, it may be easier to diagnose.
As Bert indicated, since it is worse since you worked on it, you may have affected the troubled part, albeit in a negative manner........

Last edited:

dfbroxy

Threads

If your engine is running, I personally would not suspect the fuel pump.
But, as your problem now appears to be continuous, it may be easier to diagnose.
As Bert indicated, since it is worse since you worked on it, you may have affected the troubled part, albeit in a negative manner........

If it is running on all cylinders, try checking and adjusting the governor.