Jaguar engine will not let go of generator shaft

Ken Kegris

Threads
There was a lot of 14 HP Briggs engines on generator that were DC 115 volt and were used on viberaters for concrete. They weren't much good for any thing else so I pulled the armature off the motor and cut it apart and turned it down to 1.25 and put a key way in, them for another pulley and then it became a useful engine. I then bolted the adapter back on. Then you just needed a pulley that fit 1.25.

Kenny

Ken Kegris

Threads
Just a short note, Clean the tapers but do not grease, oil, or neva seize a taper it wont stay tight. I have a small machine shop I always store my tapered stuff oiled up but I carb clean it to put it together.
I also years ago took a techmusch engine and pulled the crank out of it and machined the taper to a straight shaft. It turned out to be like a 3/4 shaft but it was not that big of a engine.

Kenny

TheBishop

Threads
My new governor shaft arrived yesterday and just a few minutes ago I put everything back together, filled it up with a quart of new oil, added about a gallon of gas and let it sit for about two minutes.
I pulled on the started and on the second pull the engine started. With a little tweaking of the carb, the generator is running at 59-61 hz, and 119-121 volts using a "Killawatt Meter."

The engine sounds good and since the outfit only has now 13.5 hours of use I hope it will last as long as my primary backup generator which we bought in 1987 when we lived in Birmingham Alabama. It still runs and is 30 years old this year.

I was also given a old military generator. It's a Kohler 12hp 3.5kw. It was made around 1962 and with electric start it will be my go to generator.

Three generators living in hurricane area might be enough.

Thanks to everyone that helped me get through this. I was ready to trash the whole outfit.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Dont forget to fire each one up at least each year, more often is better and run something off the generator.
Down here is is generally bush fires than bring down power wires and I encourage customers to use their generators to power their shed / workshop thus they get used regularly.

Ken Kegris

Threads
I am glad you have it working, Heck I would not even know where to get parts for your engine. Now for the old military engine I would suspect that is is a 24 volt start, which means 2 12 volt batteries connected in series. Also in all likely hood there will be charging coils in the engine or does that one use the generator to start itself, some of the military stuff did not use an engine starter but used the exciter coil in the generator itself. That Kohler may have a regulator to control the 120 volt. If that engine has a 12 HP engine then in all likely hood its a 6000 watt or less. Generally a rule of thumb is 2 HP per kilowatt the old stuff was rated at what it was the new stuff will advertise as a 10,000 but will only be a 9500,
I have a 10,000 rated at 9600 and a 15000 PTO that rated at 15000, I can run the house with a 15K I have a water pump and electric water heater there are the big users, and a little load management and I can get along fine it uses approx 1/2 gallon /hour. AT our tractor club I ran 42 hours and used 20 gall of diesel.

Kenny at kkegris@yahoo.com

Ken Kegris

Threads
I see that the Kohler is a 3500 watt with that big a engine are you sure that its not a 3 phase unit, I know the military would go to the extremes when building things but that a lot of engine for a 12 HP it must be a heavy cause its i am sure is a cast iron Kohler.

Kenny kkegris@yahoo.com

TheBishop

Threads
The old Kohler engine is about 2 1/2 feet tall and a single cylinder.

It's as big as my 4 cylinder 1952 Ford 8N tractor motor.

It starts up fine, even though the whole generator has never been cleaned. It's got 50 years of grease and oil on it. It does spot a little but I can live with that.
I would like to clean it up some but I don't know where to start. I'm afraid of touching something that might break off and could not replace it part. It's got all sorts of, in my opinion, diodes looking things sticking out and wires going in and out of holes between the engine, the generator. the control box and the control panel. There is no, Wiring Harness on it. It really looks like it was put together out of old wiring parts.

But I tested it with a "Killawatt Meter" and it 120 volts and 60 cycles smooth.