Jaguar engine will not let go of generator shaft

TheBishop

Threads
I was given a Parmac S5000 gas generator last month by a friend going into a nursing home. He was given the generator six years before that but said it never ran right. His wife's brother bought the generator new a few years before that but also said it never ran right. Lucky me right?

The Jaguar 9hp engine over runs like the governor is bad. The governor shaft will turn 360 so I decided to repair or replace the governor shaft or governor itself.

I got the engine and the governor separated about two inches but that all. I can't get the engine shaft to let go the governor shaft. The outside bearing you can see in the photos has separated but the shafts are still together.

I've worked it loose by tapping on the cases but now I worried I'll damage the plastic fan blades on the governor shaft. In one photo the plastic is getting torn so I stopped.

Has anyone had trouble separating two shafts? I expected a key to fall out and the shafts free.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 14

TheBishop

Threads
I may have found the problem.

there is a bolt I need to remove that's holding the arm shaft to the crankshaft.

I'll post if this works tomorrow.

TheBishop

Threads
The internet videos show hitting the arm shaft to dislodge the generator. I have been hitting the arm several times every day but so far it has not broken free.

Any other ideas would be a help. Has this happened to anyone here?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
The model number would be really nice so I could look it up and see what might possibly be going on.

TheBishop

Threads
the engine is a 9hp Robin E27, the generator is a Macc Alte Spa Ar1-130/2

I found the diagram for the Mecc Alte. It shows a threaded bolt at both ends thru the arm shaft with a washer and a cap/nut on the end of the bolt shaft.

the capnut come off easy but the arm shaft itself refuses to let go of the engine crankshaft.

I have a 4lb dead blow hammer and I have hit the arm like it shows but the refuses to come off the engine.

I have reached the point since the 5000W generator was a hand me down and did not cost me anything I'm ready to beat it to death and if I break it beyond repair it's going to the street to hand it down to another sucker.

But if you can help, I'm ready for it, Thanks

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
the engine is a 9hp Robin E27, the generator is a Macc Alte Spa Ar1-130/2

I found the diagram for the Mecc Alte. It shows a threaded bolt at both ends thru the arm shaft with a washer and a cap/nut on the end of the bolt shaft.

the capnut come off easy but the arm shaft itself refuses to let go of the engine crankshaft.

I have a 4lb dead blow hammer and I have hit the arm like it shows but the refuses to come off the engine.

I have reached the point since the 5000W generator was a hand me down and did not cost me anything I'm ready to beat it to death and if I break it beyond repair it's going to the street to hand it down to another sucker.

But if you can help, I'm ready for it, Thanks

I think you are trying to unlock two locking-taper shafts: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_taper#Morse

I have seen engines for sale advertised as "for generators" with tapered crankshaft ends. I don't know why this type of coupling is used unless for balance purposes as the armatures are pretty heavy. I also don't know how to unlock the two shafts in this case but I'm pretty sure it should have been done prior to breaking open the crankcase.

Good luck. Hope this steers you in the right direction.

DeBe

Forum Newbie
Threads
On the end of the Rotor there should be a Bolt. Remove it & make up a suitable length of rod to fit inside. Us a suitable bolt to wind in as a puller, that's how I get my rotors off the crank shaft.Rotor pullers.jpg

TheBishop

Threads
That is exactly my problem.

Every arm shaft I've looked at has a true BOLT, going all the way thru the hollow arm shaft, but not this generator. the others show a way of using a steel dowel or rod, with a short bolt to press on the crank shaft thus allowing the built up pressure to POP the arm shaft off..

It's made by Mecc Alte from Italy. It does not have a bolt that I can unscrew. It has a threaded bolt on each end, one end screwed into the crankshaft, the other end is not a bolt head. It's a nut and washer on a threaded end.

I can unscrew the nut and remove it but the bolt remains connected to the crankshaft. I believe this connection is causing the arm shaft not to move enough when it is hit to release. I cannot remove the bolt before the arm shaft come off.

Ken Kegris

Threads
I would take the long bolt on the end of the gen, loosen and swat that with a hammer that should get the armature off the end of the crankshaft. You may have to apply some pressure to the armature, similar to taking the flywheel off a Briggs engine.

TheBishop

Threads
Success!

The arm shaft came off this afternoon. I had gotten so frustrated with this project I was ready to trash the whole generator. I was going to give it one last attempt to remove the Arm Shaft. I set up the engine on the floor and took a stand. I held the 4lb dead blow hammer with both hands and hit the arm with all my might twice. I turned the arm 90 degrees and hit it two more two more times.
I didn't care anymore if I broke it or not but as I swung the hammer the fourth time the arm popped off and was held up by the bolt inside.
10 minutes later I had discovered the steel governor shaft was bent almost straight. No wonder the shaft spun 360 around in the engine.

This is probably the reason why I am the third or fourth owner of the generator since the previous owners gave it away after they tried to use it. The digital Hours gauge has 13.1 hours on it and the generator was made in 2006 date so sold by 2007, that would make it 10 years old with only 13 hours used.

I hope I have not bruised or broken the engine or generator after the new governor shaft arrives by UPS and install it. I just put the engine back together lightly to keep track of all the bolts from both devices.

To help anyone else I took a photo of the broken governor shaft and the bolt the was holding the arm shaft on.

I did remove some light rust on the crankshaft at the joint where the crankshaft and arm shaft joined together. that was why it didn't want to easily let go, because it had been sitting most of it's ten year life.

I'll post after the new part come in.

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 13
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 13