YTH2248

mjharrell

Threads
I have a Husqvarna a friend gave me, starter will not engage, i check the voltage at the solenoid for the start wire and there is no voltage by turning the key switch while pressing the seat and clutch/brake pedal, when i disconnect start wire from solenoid and repeat same test i get 12volts, is it possible that solenoid is bad ?

Homer1

Threads
Well, several things. First of all, not sure if your unit has a separate solenoid or one built into the engine, I am going to assume separate.

If it is a 3 wire solenoid, meaning 2 large hot cables on the top posts and 1 engage wire in the form of a spade connector, you could have a bad ground. It grounds through the metal that mounts it to the tractor frame. If the bolts are loose or rusted I'd clean them and the frame below the solenoid and then remount and try again.

If it's a 4 wire solenoid meaning it has 2 top posts for starter positive cables, and a negative and engage positive wire in the form of spades, check to see that the ground wire isn't broken or loose.

I would have a helper sit on the seat and try to start the mower with you.

If you remove the trigger 12 volt cable (smaller wire) , whether it be orange, yellow, whatever, and it tests for 12v positive as someone turns the key to start, you know your good there.

Plug the trigger wire back in and test the voltage again. Turn the key to start and if it shows 12 volts, move your tester to the starter side positive terminal on top, which should have no voltage unless attempting to start. If that pole shows positive for 12volts then your starter is either bad, or stuck, or something along those lines. Make sure the terminal on the bottom of the starter (where the larger red cable connects) is also showing 12v when holding the key to start. This will rule out the solenoid itself I would think.

Here is a quick vid on how to replace with a universal version if the solenoid appears to be the issue. He also shows how to jump the terminals to make sure the starter itself is functioning. If you connect the 2 positive terminals with a jumper or otherwise, and the engine turns over, then you know your engine and starter are fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NzaU9jDeKs

I can't see why the solenoid trigger would show zero voltage for any reason honestly, if it's being sent 12v off the solenoid, it should still show 12 on it.

mjharrell

Threads
the solenoid is mounted to the starter like a chevy starter and has a total of three wires, one wire from the battery, one wire from the ignition switch and one braided wire from the solenoid to the starter.

Homer1

Threads
So it's most likely a Kohler engine. Not sure what the options are on that model.

I haven't diagnosed one of those before. Here's another vid. Nevermind the idiot that stars in it, but it may help in your application. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n2eOwhG1gU

I would check to see that the starter power connector, or the braided wire I assume is being energized with 12v when the ignition wire is energized. If it is then the solenoid may be working and the starter may be having issues.

Also, make sure the battery is holding a good charge, seems like someone made a post the other day about having electrical issues and all they did is swap batteries and it went away. I assume you believe the battery to be good since you indicated this earlier.

mjharrell

Threads
Battery is good, brand new, i took 12 volts straight to the braided wire and motor does turn, i ran a resistance check from the start side of the solenoid to ground and found it to be short ( should be small resistance reading) but reading was direct short to ground. guess i will have to buy new starter/solenoid combo.

Homer1

Threads
Unless they are repairable, I'm afraid that may be the case. Seems like I checked the other day, they were around 60 bucks maybe new, used could be cheaper.

Not saying they can't be repaired, I just haven't found anything on it yet.