First Oil Change - What weight Oil?

pauldeere

Threads
A follow up on my first post. I am ready to do the first oil change on my Z 2100 with the 26 H.P Briggs engine. Reading in my owners manual I see that 30 wt., 10W30, 5W30, or 5W30 Synthetic can be used. Never before have I seen such a wide variety of recommended oil weights for a engine. What oil have most of you been using?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Unless it has been changed recently the only oils recommended for operation above 40 degrees is the 30w and the 5w30 synthetic. the others can cause excessive oil use if used when above that temp. I use 30w in most customer briggs mower engines and am switching over to the 5w30 synthetic when I deplete my 30w inventory. Been running the 5w30 synthetic in my nephews Vanguard 35 hp on his stump grinder for 4 years now.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Neighbor just got a new Simplicity, it has a 23 hp Briggs, & Dealer told him to run the 30 wt. I haven't read his manual yet, I will when I set up his mow deck.

ILENGINE- Does that stump grinder use any oil running the 5w-30 Syn ?

Not sure if still true, but I was told 3 yrs ago Not to use Synthetics till I get at least 50 hours on the Kaw engine.

Homer1

Threads
I always use 10w-30, and just to cover my bases I stick with Briggs oil. I know a lot of people just use whatever they throw in there, even have some friends that use used motor oil in their small engines. I question their intelligence, but they do it anyway.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Neighbor just got a new Simplicity, it has a 23 hp Briggs, & Dealer told him to run the 30 wt. I haven't read his manual yet, I will when I set up his mow deck.

ILENGINE- Does that stump grinder use any oil running the 5w-30 Syn ?

Not sure if still true, but I was told 3 yrs ago Not to use Synthetics till I get at least 50 hours on the Kaw engine.

Doesn't appear to need any between oil changes. The engine manufacturers had a thing in the owners manual about running dino oil for the first 50 because they felt that synthetic, because of the better lube properties wouldn't allow proper break in of the rings, that has been removed from the manuals.

Briggs is now recommending 20w50 in their large engines 37-40 hp range for extended hot weather use, like in the southern US, Their own brand Vanguard 20w50 oil is full synthetic. l

TonyPrin

Threads
You spent a lot to get a high quality mower that deserves the best. You should go for the 5W-30 synthetic - not a blend. My suggestion is either Mobil, Penzoil or Quaker State; if available Quaker State Ultimate Durability You'll find it easier to start and run. In addition, the oil should run cleaner and you may find it reasonably clean when it's time for a change. BTW, using synthetic has no impact on oil change frequency.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Doesn't appear to need any between oil changes. That's a good thing. Guess you found a good Syn lube then. The engine manufacturers had a thing in the owners manual about running dino oil for the first 50 because they felt that synthetic, I remember that with New Harleys. because of the better lube properties wouldn't allow proper break in of the rings, exactly, that has been removed from the manuals. Indeed, as it disappeared from Harley O manuals as well.

Briggs is now recommending 20w50 in their large engines 37-40 hp range for extended hot weather use, like in the southern US, Their own brand Vanguard 20w50 oil is full synthetic. Wow !!!

Got to work on that new Briggs powered Simplicity today, manual shows all the various oils listed like OP posted. No mention of break in for the 5w-30 Full Syn.

Thank You for the reply.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The Briggs brand 5w30 synthetic is actually a synthetic blend. the 20w50 Briggs brand is labeled full synthetic.

TonyPrin

Threads
My problem with B&S oil is that they don't produce it themselves. Over the years they've used several suppliers so you never know for certain what you're getting year after year.

The Briggs brand 5w30 synthetic is actually a synthetic blend. the 20w50 Briggs brand is labeled full synthetic.

I'm not familiar with B&S oil specifics but they do offer a 5W30 full synthetic (according to the label). Here's a link:

https://shop.briggsandstratton.com/...ies/oil-and-oil-parts/synthetic-oil-100074web

Here's part of what B&S says:
Using Synthetic oil offers better wear control of your engine, even under severe operating conditions. Since synthetics have better "inherent strength" they have the ability to keep functioning at the highest level for the longest possible time.
Synthetic Oil gives your engine better viscosity temperature response, better low temperature fluidity, better thermal stability better oxidation stability, lower volatility, better deposit control, and better wear control.
This in return reduces risk of equipment failure, promotes trouble free operation, reduces maintenance costs, extends service life, and long term engine durability.

As I said previously, my preference is synthetic oil -particularly in expensive equipment.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
My problem with B&S oil is that they don't produce it themselves. Over the years they've used several suppliers so you never know for certain what you're getting year after year.

I'm not familiar with B&S oil specifics but they do offer a 5W30 full synthetic (according to the label). Here's a link:

https://shop.briggsandstratton.com/...ies/oil-and-oil-parts/synthetic-oil-100074web

Here's part of what B&S says:

As I said previously, my preference is synthetic oil -particularly in expensive equipment.

The 5w30 synthetic briggs does say 100% synthetic on the bottle. Have 5 cases in stock. There was a flyer some time back that was sent to the dealers that called it a synthetic blend. The briggs 5w30 is just called synthetic on the dealer stuff, whereas the Vanguard 15w50 ( which I made the mistake of calling a 20w50 previously) says full synthetic.