Craftsman mower deck brake bar broke??

bbqsmokeman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and looking for some help
I have a Craftsman LT2000 21HP 46" deck mower that seems to have a brake issue on the deck
I don't have the photos yet but will add them when I get home later but can anyone tell me where the brake bar actually attaches too? It looks like it should be attached to the pad section but no matter where I attempt to place it it doesn't move the pad to open/close; the bar and joints just sit there.
The bar looks like it has broke off from where it should be attached too but I cannot confirm and according to the diagram in the manual which is not great doesn't tell me exactly how it gets mounted or attached. It just shows a part number and to me that means it is a part that can be replaced.

If anyone has a photo of the same make/model and can let me know where the bar is supposed to be attached too (left side of mower deck-for brake) it may save me time and money from purchasing a new brake bar if it just needs to be reattached

thanks

Last edited:

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
:welcome:

Welcome to the forum!

I'm going to move this thread over to our Craftsman section.

zman111666

Threads
Look at the model number, witch is on a sticker usually under the seat. Probably something like 917288570. Go to http://www.searspartsdirect.com , put that number in the search (make sure to put "model number" in the "search by" box), and you can pull up the parts diagrams from there.
mowdeck.gif

bbqsmokeman

Forum Newbie
Threads
No disrespect intended but the diagram does not show where the brake bar is supposed to be attached too. I know it stops the blades when one disengages the deck from cutting but as mentioned there is no physical evidence to where it attaches too. Is it welded on? Cotter pin placed?
The model number of my mower is not in Sears PartsDirect and hasn't been there since I bought it. Most parts on it are MTD parts.
I am not able to add a photo or post the diagram of the deck with the part # since I am new and need 5 quota to be allowed to post photos or links so the best I can do is mention that partstree has my brake bar for my deck and it's # 46 and the part itself is on SearsDirect but not he model.

zman111666

Threads
Ok, I see where you are at now. No disrespect taken. The Sears Parts Direct website does have a nasty habit of leaving out certain models. But I think I found the diagram you are talking about on the partstree web site. It is hard to tell, but the bar goes from one brake bar to the other, like a tie rod. on the right side, it goes into a hole in part #59, I think on the far end, and probably stays on with a cotter pin. the other side isn't so clear, but must go to part #5.

Looking closer, it seems that rod has a little nub on the left end... I wonder if it goes into a hole with a notch in it. like, you stick that end in first, turn it, and then attach the right side after. Maybe that nub wore off, and that's why the rod slipped out. perhaps a spot of weld would fix it. Or drill a small hole, and use a cotter pin.mowdeck1.gifmowdeck2.jpg

Last edited:

bbqsmokeman

Forum Newbie
Threads
I like your line of thinking with the welding option, hole drilling and I agree it does look like it attaches to the #5 according to the diagram but before I make it worse I need to confirm how far or exact distance is required when mounting it so it actually stops and or opens properly. I don't want to make a worse case of what I think is something simple; that's why I was hoping someone had a photo for the same make/model and then if it's where I think it should go I would probably weld it as that method creates more stability and I prefer it too. Your 1st photo of the red deck is so close to a visual where it goes. I wanted to slide the photo over slightly, lol

zman111666

Threads
I wanted to move the angle of the photo too. It's actually a still of a video. I watched several looking for someone to turn the deck just right so I could see that left brake, but NOOOO! I have 9 riding mowers in the driveway right now. 3 Craftsman, 4 John Deeres, a Troy-bilt, and an old Yardman, but wouldn't you know, not one has that configuration. And every video I see about spindle replacement and such, they always seem to work on the right one.

zman111666

Threads
Here's another still from another video. Just enough of a peek to piss you off. It definitely goes to #5, and I would put it on with very little slack. The cable pulls the right brake, and the rod should pull the other one pretty much equally. For the brake to engage properly, there should be no tension on the rod while the brake is resting on the pulley. You should be able to just wiggle it a little.
you can watch the full video at https://youtu.be/8QrMDaHVGfQ
mowdeck3.gif

bbqsmokeman

Forum Newbie
Threads
I see what you mean.
I was like OMG that is sooooooo close! I took a look at mine and it is just a straight end with what looks like both nibs are either almost flush with the bar (worn out) or broke off so I am going to clean up the deck and see from there and hopefully I can get it rigged up to work satisfactorily at least.
Thanks for taking the time to look around, greatly appreciated.
Will keep you posted on the outcome.