HR214 can't pull start unless I press the blade brake lever

bigbacon

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / HR214 can't pull start unless I press the blade brake lever
I just finished replacing the blade on my trusty HR214 mower and now I am not able to start the mower unless I press in the blade brake lever. I used to be able to start it by not having to do that, just pull the cord.

I did also adjust the handle to be at maximum height so is it possible that has but more tension on the cable and therefor the brake is always applied?

zman111666

Threads
Typically most mowers require that you hold down the brake bar to start, unless the blade runs off a separate clutch, and you can run the motor without the blade engaged. If it is that type (which by the diagram i'm looking at it is), make sure the blade control is fully releasing, and that it does not have any tension in the cable when released. In other words, I believe you are correct. :)

bigbacon

Forum Newbie
Threads
I assume this one the engine can run without the blade going until you make it....unless it magically fixed itself after like 15 years of being broken :)

bigbacon

Forum Newbie
Threads
there is slack in the cable. nothing is tight or stuck as far as I can tell.

so pull hand won't budge. Push yellow button, push blade lever down, I can pull the cord and start it.

zman111666

Threads
In the past, when you would start the engine, would the blades be spinning already, or would you have to pull the lever to make the blades spin?

zman111666

Threads
I just snapped. You said there is slack in the cable. Maybe that means that the lever the cable attaches to isn't going all the way back to it's stop position. pull and release the lever a few times,(without the engine running), and observe the movement of the works down there. Also, there may be a small switch that engages, make sure it isn't hung up

bigbacon

Forum Newbie
Threads
stupid me....

when I removed the old blade, I forgot to take off that spacer piece. So with that peice missing I can only assume the bolts were going in further than normal and stopping or squeezing the brake/clutch hard enough to make the engine not spin.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I just finished replacing the blade on my trusty HR214 mower and now I am not able to start the mower unless I press in the blade brake lever. I used to be able to start it by not having to do that, just pull the cord.

I did also adjust the handle to be at maximum height so is it possible that has but more tension on the cable and therefor the brake is always applied?

So when you put on the new blade, what did you remove? The blade is held on by two bolts, and no other parts should need to be removed. Reads like maybe you removed too much stuff, and not it has been fitted back incorrectly, causing the clutch to malfunction and prevent the engine from turning. There were two styles of Roto-Stop made for the mower:

Type A:
35930347773_ca3bbf226a_o.png

Type B:
36600707541_969db90b8a_o.png

bigbacon

Forum Newbie
Threads
I forgot to put the holder back on.

zman111666

Threads
Sounds like something I would do... Glad you got it figured out.