A "ZERO TURN" MOWER WITH FRONT CASTERS ON A RIGID FRAME, IS IT REALLY A "ZERO TURN"?

AmeriKen

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / A "ZERO TURN" MOWER WITH FRONT CASTERS ON A RIGID FRAME, IS IT REALLY A "ZERO TURN"?
A "ZERO TURN" MOWER WITH FRONT CASTERS ON A RIGID FRAME, IS IT REALLY A "ZERO TURN"?

I'm just curious if others who have a "zero turn" mower have the same problem as I do. I'm not new to "zero turn" as I've have and still use a Cub Cadet Z-Force 50 (it has its set of issues, but not related to the topic of this posting) since 2006. I had some doubts about buying my 2017 "zero turn" mower that has the front caster wheels rigidly mounted to the frame as compared to my Cub Cadet Z-Force 50 that has a pivoting front axle, and, sadly, my fears have been confirmed. If the ground is not flat as a table-top, my new "zero turn" mower is not a true "zero turn." Repeatedly, as I trim around older trees that have a raised dome around the trunk due to underground root growth raising the ground, or around young transplanted trees that have a depression for water retention, the mower will not properly steer around these objects without one of the rear traction wheels spinning. I have skid marks all over my yard where I have attempted to trim around objects where the ground is not as flat as a table-top.

I have to mow several acres with the mower around objects, and numerous "swales" that have been formed around house, garage and barns to direct or drain rain water away from foundations. This new "zero turn" mower with the rigid frame will not properly track, but often one of the front wheels will be off the ground spinning on its vertical axis. When this happens, the rear wheel at the opposite corner will have minimal traction, and the mower will turn or drift in the direction that has the rear wheel traction issue. My front yard is over 400 feet from the county road to the front of the house. A little more than 10 years ago, I was cutting hay off of this area, but is now being mowed as a lawn or yard. The new mower does a beautiful job of mowing this somewhat large but nearly flat area, but trimming around yard trees and orchard trees, it lacks in being a true "zero turn" mower. Because of this I'm frustrated, especially, since I've been using a "zero turn" mower for over 11 years, but that older mower had a pivoting front axle and I could steer it around any object to which I directed it.

Are my expectations too high? Do mower manufacturers build "zero turn" mowers on rigid frames, and really expect them to be "zero turn"? My new mower certainly isn't as agile, as compared to my older "zero turn." If a person will carefully read the sales literature, it subtly indicates that these mowers are intended for large flat areas, and don't recommend using them on sloped areas. For drainage ditches and swales, this new mower will drift downward deeper into the ditch losing steering control while one of the front caster wheels is spinning on its axis. I've had to go to the barn and get my farm tractor to pull it a few inches out of the "stuck" area because the mower has lost traction, in the same areas that I have mowed for years with my older "zero turn" mower and my semi-retired conventional riding mower. This is terribly frustrating!

At this point, I've fabricated a front axle with a hub having tapered roller bearings installed that are used in 1" diameter utility trailer axles. I've welded reinforcement plates and gussets to the front of the new mower having a 1" diameter grade 8 bolt that will act as the pivot for the axle to be installed. I only need to cut off the front casters with a little of stub remaining of the original framing to weld onto each end of the newly fabricated pivoting axle. At this point, if I have to sacrifice the warranty on this new mower to gain better every-day maneuverability around all these objects, then I'm willing although reluctant to do so. This has been a frustrating ordeal for me.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? What has been your solution for this issue?

I purchased a "zero turn" because I wanted to mow large areas and trim with the same piece of equipment. Over the last 45 years, I have planted trees and such in a manner as to have enough distance between them that I could maneuver around them with the same piece of equipment with a moderately large deck. A "zero turn" mower with rigidly mounted front casters are now challenging this long-term objective.

I would like to hear how other "zero turn" owners are confronting this maneuverability issue. Please respond.

Best regards,
AmeriKen

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / A "ZERO TURN" MOWER WITH FRONT CASTERS ON A RIGID FRAME, IS IT REALLY A "ZERO TURN"?
Re: A "ZERO TURN" MOWER WITH FRONT CASTERS ON A RIGID FRAME, IS IT REALLY A "ZERO TUR

I have a Toro Z & have no issues going around my trees both young & old. And of course it has fixed front axle. If one of my front caster wheels raises off the ground, the rear still drives fine.

My neighbor just got a simplicity, it has the coil-overs on front pivoting front axle. He's only mowed once so far, so time will tell.

Travlitt

Threads
Re: A "ZERO TURN" MOWER WITH FRONT CASTERS ON A RIGID FRAME, IS IT REALLY A "ZERO TUR

I have a mowing business and run 4 ZTR mowers. all have 60" decks. 3 Have solid front axles and 1 has the pivoting front axle. I have no steering problems with any of them. I also mow in all kinds of ground conditions.

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads

:welcome:

Welcome to the forum.

I'm going to move this thread over to our buying and pricing section so you can compare zero turn mowers.