Hi from Isle of Anglesey

Diwali

Threads
I've been using lawnmowers for 60 years but my all time favourite is the Craftsman LT2000 which I've owned since 2008.

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
Good choice! Welcome to the forum. :welcome:

deck~dragger

Threads
Welcome from across the big pond, Wales looks beautiful from pictures I've seen, have ancestry in Conwy.

Diwali

Threads
Welcome from across the big pond, Wales looks beautiful from pictures I've seen, have ancestry in Conwy.

Wales is beautiful (I may be a little biased being a Welshman!). You should visit your 'homeland'!
I note you have a Husqvarna mower. My brother in law in Australia has one and when I saw it I was surprised to see that it was virtually identical to my Craftsman LT2000. Same layout, same body and same controls. I didn't check the engine, mine is BS 17.5hp, but outwardly it was the same machine albeit painted orange and with Husqvarna labels.
He also had a little Fergie tractor which made me quite envious!

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
There are still a lot of Fergie's in Wales just go out and pick one...!

adal

Threads
Hello and a nice welcome to the forum
Alan

deck~dragger

Threads
Wales is beautiful (I may be a little biased being a Welshman!). You should visit your 'homeland'!
I note you have a Husqvarna mower. My brother in law in Australia has one and when I saw it I was surprised to see that it was virtually identical to my Craftsman LT2000. Same layout, same body and same controls. I didn't check the engine, mine is BS 17.5hp, but outwardly it was the same machine albeit painted orange and with Husqvarna labels.
He also had a little Fergie tractor which made me quite envious!

I had a 2003 Craftsman made by AYP [American Yard Products] Electrolux, yes, so was Husqvarna at the time, good mowers. Now Husqvarna Group is independent and makes there own mowers. Bit of company history on the logo-https://www.husqvarnacp.com/us/about-us/husqvarna-history/

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I think you will find Husqvarna was originally a gunsmith and like a lot of others gunsmiths had to find something else to do during the rare occasions when the Europeans were not trying to kill each other.
Like a lot of other gun makers they diversified into fashionable enterprises that could be made with the gun making equipment they owned.
Not much different to the BSA group or Royal Enfield except it was managed by competent people not old school tie idiots.
Husqvarna started to make mowers when they acquired a company that made commercial reel mowers as a side line.
Electrolux bought Husqvarna and several other companies including Jonsored who made chain saws and riding mowers.
In the USA Husqvarna imported European made mowers & chainsaws as well as having AYP , Noma & Murray manufacture Husqvarna branded riding mowers.
because of the effects of the EEC, Electrolux sold off Husqvarna as a separate entity and because of different corperate laws in Europe , Electrolux could not sell Husqvarna off pennyless as happens in the UK, USA & Australia.
Because Europen business know the benefits of vertical intergration Husqvarna started buying up their supply chain ( as did Stihl ) so they bought AYP as Noma had already gone bust & been picked up by Murray
AYP was and still is a contract manufacturer of out door products for other companies similar to what Murrray & Noma were and to a lesser extent MTD is today.
They picked up McCulloch who made chain saws and got other outdoor products made for them some time latter when McCulloch overextended themselves and went broke .
Because some Husqvarnas were made by AYP and some Craftsmans were also made by AYP using the same machines and similar tooling some Craftsmans and some Husqvarnas look very similar.

As for Fergies, they were incrediably popular down here and have a very large following , a single marque collectors club and even a single model , the 20Hp TE, favoured by the soldiers allotment farmers who all went broke because you can not make a living form 10 acres west of the divide down here as much as the Ex-pom parliamentarians decided we could, just like merry old England.

Diwali

Threads
There are still a lot of Fergie's in Wales just go out and pick one...!

LOL! Very true but, much as I like the old Fergies, I opted for something a little less old and more beefy: a Case IH 248 - which I'm very happy with. For the smaller jobs, cutting lawns and towing, the Craftsman LT2000 does sterling work.

Diwali

Threads
I had a 2003 Craftsman made by AYP [American Yard Products] Electrolux, yes, so was Husqvarna at the time, good mowers. Now Husqvarna Group is independent and makes there own mowers. Bit of company history on the logo

Interesting! Thanks.