Vanguard 31hp engine blew up

Dan Phillips

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Winco generator powered by a Briggs and Stratton Vanguard 31 hp engine. With about sixty hours on it the engine completely broke. We are talking about cracked wide open, broken rods, etc. We are very good about maintenance and checking oil and using equipment for what it is intended for. No abuse going on here. I read in this forum that Vanguard engines " like to bend rods on occasion for no apparent reason." I dont know if this was what happened. The service center has taken the broken engine apart and has sent pictures to Briggs for their assessment and hopefully they will honor the warranty and send a new engine. I'm hoping this will happen soon. It has been over two weeks and still no word. The service center hasen't been able to determine a cause. Can someone offer any advice on what to do. Did I spend over four grand on an Engine that is prone to spontaneous breakage? Ours was running fine and doing a great job all the way up until it wasn't. Any experience on how to work with Briggs on a resolution? Thank you in advance for any thoughts or advice.

Dan Phillips

Threads
Did you go through all the hoops with the break in oil change and such with the dealer ??

They will ask that question for sure. Wow 4 grand for engine replacement or a new whole generator. Down here in south Louisiana you can get a brand new Generac unit that runs on LP with the electrical transfer switch and all for 5 grand......

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
the bend rods for no apparent reason is the push rods for the valves, not the connecting rods. There are several possible reasons for the engine to fail. You will have to wait for Briggs to evaluate the pictures, and possible sent a tech to the shop to look at the physical damage.

How long have you owned the generator?

Dan Phillips

Forum Newbie
Threads
the bend rods for no apparent reason is the push rods for the valves, not the connecting rods. There are several possible reasons for the engine to fail. You will have to wait for Briggs to evaluate the pictures, and possible sent a tech to the shop to look at the physical damage.

I have owned the generator three months.

Dan Phillips

Forum Newbie
Threads

Hi again.

The service center that is working on my generator engine just informed me that Briggs will be sending out a new Engine. This is a great relief. Thank you for your response. I dont have any explanation yet as to what gave way and caused such a catastrophic result but I will post this information as soon as I can in case you or anyone else is interested.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Will appreciate the follow up Dan. Always like to know what caused the factory installed smoke came out. (inside tech joke)

Tinkerer200

Threads
I am interested in whether this is an American or Japaneses Vanguard.

Walt Conner