Craftsman 42" doesn't seem to be fully engaging both blades

kywildcats7

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Craftsman 42" doesn't seem to be fully engaging both blades
Not running with the power it used to and not cutting as well. It seems as though one blade is not cutting as well, even though both are turning at the same speeds.

Now here is the strange thing. I can turn the steering wheel all the way to the left and hold it all the way left and the full power kicks back in (you can even hear the big difference) with both blades cutting great. So, I guess if I want to mow in tight circles to the left all day, this is great.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jt2953

Threads
Check your belts, it would only hope. Did you look underneith and look for anything out of order? your belts maybe me going bad or slipping too.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
is your motor loose on the frame?

dan-p

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had a similar problem with my mower. It turned out to be a broken mandrel and the tension of the belt was pulling the mandrel and blade to one side, along with some other broken frame components that had to be replaced. My number one indicator was that the mower was cutting the grass uneven. It eventually caused the deck belt to break before i figured out what was going on

wildbill

Threads
Take the belts off the blade pulleys. The pulleys should spin freely and not have any side-to-side play. Any play or a 'roaring' sound when you spin them means the bearings are shot. The mandrels come assembled and with sealed bearings....... about 60 bucks each.:thumbsup: