New member having trouble with V-ride

thecadman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all,
I have inherited my fathers V-ride with velocity deck (if I'm remembering correctly) and I'm having a problem.

When my grass is a bit long and damp, it loads up in the left side of the deck.

I've tried different lift blades, raising the baffles all the way up, different speeds and throttle settings.

I don't think its really sticking in the deck, as I can stop the deck, the grass falls, and when I restart it blows out a huge clump.

It seems to getting "vacuumed" to the top?

It mows fine otherwise just not well in tough conditions.

I'm very new to all this so any help would be appreciated.

mcdonell

Threads
Are you running the engine at less than full throttle?

My manual says running the governored motor at less than full throttle can overwork the motor and slow the mower blades which reduce the effectiveness of the cut/discharge.

You can buy different kinds of blades that may serve you better. I get non-Scag blades on Ebay.

You may have to reduce the amount of grass cut by raising your cutting height or taking a smaller bite when grass is wet and plugging the deck.

My 2 cents.

Honda Tech

Threads
Hello all,
I have inherited my fathers V-ride with velocity deck (if I'm remembering correctly) and I'm having a problem.

When my grass is a bit long and damp, it loads up in the left side of the deck.

I've tried different lift blades, raising the baffles all the way up, different speeds and throttle settings.

I don't think its really sticking in the deck, as I can stop the deck, the grass falls, and when I restart it blows out a huge clump.

It seems to getting "vacuumed" to the top?

It mows fine otherwise just not well in tough conditions.

I'm very new to all this so any help would be appreciated.

Hi thecadman, it sounds like your deck has the mulch kit installed or else all the clippings would be discharging out the side and nothing would be able to build up. Assuming you have the Scag mulch kit installed, I would look for any missing or damaged baffles, make sure the hurricane plates are installed and in good condition and use the Scag Eliminator Blades. Also, with the mulch kit, you do not want to feed the monster to much at one. You may need to slow down you drive speed and trim no more than an inch and a half at a time.

thecadman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the replies guys.

I have the standard deck with the grass chute and freshly sharpened SKAG blades. I have noticed that it doesn't clog as badly if I go much slower, and cut at about 60-70% throttle.

Higher throttle causes so much vacuum that the grass sticks to the top of the deck. As soon as I shut off the deck, the grass drops, then when I restart the deck a large amount of grass shoots out.

I thought that raising the baffles would keep the grass from getting pushed to the top of the deck, but I'll try lowering them to see if having less air come in helps.

Homer1

Threads
Post a pic of under your deck if you have a method. And a close up of the blade tips. May help us with some diagnosis.

thecadman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Post a pic of under your deck if you have a method. And a close up of the blade tips. May help us with some diagnosis.

I'll sure do that. I'm going to try to clean it up this evening so I should be able to get a decent pic.
Thanks for the help.