What is this part?

relic

Forum Newbie
Threads
It's a black cylindar attached to my frame. It looks like a starter.

My wife decided she was going to take it apart to clean out the air filter. :confused2:

90% of the black pellets fell out, I was able to put them back in it.

What is it and will it be fine with pellets missing and a few grass clippings mixed in with the pellets.

wtf.jpg

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
My guess it's a carbon filter vapor recovery cannister, similar to the ones on cars. This is the thing that gets ruint when you overfill your gas tank.

relic

Forum Newbie
Threads
My guess it's a carbon filter vapor recovery cannister, similar to the ones on cars. This is the thing that gets ruint when you overfill your gas tank.

Thanks, I guess that's what it is without a doubt being it was filled with carbon pellets.

I guess it's still fine with some of the pellets missing and as long as I don't overfill the tank I won't have to worry about it right?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't think it has any real function other than EPA compliance.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
It is the same concept as the old coffee can on cars back in the 70's. will run fine without it, It is to prevent gas vapors from getting out of the system and polluting the environment.

Homer1

Threads
This is funny. I actually spent an hour searching around myself this past month because my mower has one also and I couldn't for the life of me figure out what it was.

It is indeed a carbon filter. Seems like I read elsewhere if they get ruined some folks just remove them. Not sure how to bypass it but it can't be hard.