Echo Trimmer Keeps stalling

smiller303

Forum Newbie
Threads
Echo PAS 225 Trimmer with 21.2cc 2 stroke egine.

I have a 2-year-old Echo trimmer in excellent condition. I run premium gas with ethonal treatment and take very good care of it.

This year it started acting up. It starts right away but after around 15 minutes it starts stalling. If I play with the choke I can get it running for a liitle while but eventually will not run at all.

1st - I replaced air cleaner and fuel filter and emptied/replaced gas with carb cleaner added. - no help

2nd - I took apart the carb, cleaned it and it worked better for a little while than started up again with the stalling.

3rd - I installed a new carburater and full filter - this got it to work, but only for a day. The next day it started acting up again doing the same thing.

At this point the only thing I havent done is replace the spark plug mainly because I dont have the right socket and cant imagine this is the cause my problem

I am REALLY hoping someone here could help me diognose and figure out a fix because it wasnt cheap, I really like it and I dont want to buy a new one - especially since I am assuming it is fixable.

Thank you very much for any input -

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Try replacing the plug and see what happens. I wouldn't rule out an ignition module problem either. Have seen more than one module go bad and never loose fire to the plug

Lawn Addict
Threads
Echo ignition module carries a Lifetime Warranty. And 5 years on the non wearable parts.

smiller303

Forum Newbie
Threads
Try replacing the plug and see what happens. I wouldn't rule out an ignition module problem either. Have seen more than one module go bad and never loose fire to the plug

I replaced the spark plug and its still doing thae same thing.

Just to confirm - it starts right up - runs well until it warms up (around 5 mins), than keeps stalling - I just wanted to be sure that the ignition module could cause this before I replace it.

Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it!

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
The muffler has a spark arrestor screen. These things get carboned up over time.

Take this screen out of the muffler and see if the problem goes away. If it does, you can either clean, replace or throw that screen away.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Said you replaced the carb and filter, did you overlook cleaning the tank, and replacing the fuel lines..??? I have found gas-cans to be the cause of problems in several instances, ..just saying, it makes good sense to clean everything, BEFORE it enters a new carb.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The symptom is classic ignition module (but possibly not). Make yourself a redneck spark checker. Take the old plug and cut off the bent electrode so the gap is quite large. Hold your new tool against the head while cranking. A good module will jump that gap easily. If the mfgr really has a 5 yr warranty take the module in for their test(?). Look for contact marks on the module . My old Ryobi had them at the time it died. IMO the crank had developed wear and no longer spun in a circle...good luck.