Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
Looks good.
I'm out of options.....

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you have the Nikki carb with the white plastic plate in it check you did not loose the main jet from the bottom of the tube.
They fall out really easy and no one ever seems to bother to replace the o ring which holds it in place.

Threads
Well this happens often enough so let's go to the valves for an adjustment....

Valve cover will come off easy and the gasket usually comes off in one piece... If the valves are moving up and down that still doesn't mean they are working right.....

I go 4 and 4 or 5 and 5 on each valve. I will put a link up to a video that my buddy made.

zman111666

Threads
You stated that you attempted to start using carb cleaner.
Have you used it in successfully the past?
I have read mixed reviews on that...

Let me give you one more review. :smile:
Carb cleaner has always been my go-to for the fire test. I do it almost every day, on different machines. I prefer it over pouring gas in the carb, because it is already pretty much atomized, and burns readily. pouring raw gas in the carb might flood the spark plug, leaving you chasing the wrong problem. In a car it's fine, because most the gas spreads out and coats the intake, and mostly just vapors actually make it all the way into the cylinder.
I don't like ether starting fluids, on the other hand, cause they burn too hot, hard on the engines (in my opinion), and more of a risk of losing an eyebrow or two.
I use the generic Wallyworld carb cleaner, because it's cheap, and I go through around 3 cans a week
Just my 2¢.

Threads
Z Man I agree with you on not using starting fluid or carb cleaner to spray in a carb trying to start a engine.

I DO use a charcoal lighter fluid bottle with gas in it for a light spray into the carb. If it pops and runs for a second or two then it is a fuel issue...

Example today.... I got a call to go work on a generator that would not start. It hasn't ran in a year and 2 months. Old gas in the tank that smelled putrid. I sprayed a lil bit and oop it popped.

So I took the carb off and took it apart and cleaned it well. Took all the old gas out and put fresh in it. The carb was junky as all get out....

1st pull it fired up and the owner was happy........... Now he knows to start it once a month and DRAIN the carb.......

I spray gas from the bottle I said earlier for everything I work on in my repair shop. I have 2 bottles. 1 for 4 stroke and 1 for 2 stroke engines.............

Waycooldue

Forum Newbie
Threads
hello,

had time to play, and not good, checked timing just like video and they were close, adjusted both and tried to start no go.

I did check compression today too had about 150psi

carb clean sprayed in the carb causing backfire, so a timing issue?

Thanks for all the ideas

Erik

Threads
Ok when you had the valve cover off did you see the intake opening a lot like the exhaust. Your cam may be worn out on that lobe. Or you might have a bent push rod....

Those cams or made cheap...............